Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Like to introduce myself

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Balou, Apr 15, 2000.

1. Balou

Balou 1/2 ton status

Hi, I'm Balou from good old Germany.
    Took a long surf to find this site, seems I finally got what I was looking for.
    Since 3 years I'm the proud owner of a 1979 Cheyenne, which is absolutetly rare in Europe. Used parts from military truck are available at high prices and poor condition, so I was lucky to find some links to US producers, hope they export as well. Was planning to ask many questions, but going to the forum I got so many answers I will have enough work for the next year.
    Thanks to all the guys willing to share their experience without asking for money, good to know this is still possible.
    I'll try to send some pictures (if I find out how to do that).
    If any help from Germany necessary don not hesitate to mail.

Balou
    be outlaw...go offroad !!!

Balou

2. SVBlazer

SVBlazer 1/2 ton status

Glad you could join in. Spent 4 years in Germany (Worms). Had a GREAT time. We plan on going back to visit some folks in 2002. Might surf the JEGs and Summit sites for overseas shipping information. I think they both do...

3. Balou

Balou 1/2 ton status

Worms, it's just 30 km from my place.
    Send mail before you come.

Balou

Balou

4. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Welcome Balou, spent some time there myself, Bitburg and Spangdalem....you're blessed with a beautiful country...

<font color=red> May the dirt rise to meet you and the wind be always at your back! </font color=red>

White Knight

5. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

Welcome Balou!
    Well I spent a few years in Ramstein, Bitburg and Spangdahlem. Just came backfrom Ramstein in Oct98. Had my 75K5 over there to. Raced at Hanau mud races. 4 Wheel parts Wholesalers will ship to your German address. They will also air freight large items into Frankfurt airport for ya.

My brother still lives in Bitburg. He's the CEO of silyn-tek communications ( http://www.silyn-tek.de ). Hopefully my wife and kids and I can go back soon. Any questions I can help with just ask. Good luck with your rig.

David 75K5

[​IMG]http://www.renschler.org/~goldrush

6. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Welcome aboard Balou great to see another from overseas on hear . I've never been to Germany but have some native Germans in the community . This is one great place to hang out and there is a wealth of info here fro the taking . If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask . I've found lots of things out here .

7. BamaGal

BamaGal Registered Member

Welcome. I spent time in Giessen and Wiesbaden and my husband was in Nuremburg when we were both in the Army. It is a beautiful country.

BamaGal

8. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Welcome aboard! I've spent a few years in germeny too, Schweinfurt, Ansbach, Nurnberg and Mannheim(not in prison!)

9. 82K5

82K5 1/2 ton status

Balou, great to have you on board. I am a native German from Munchen. Came over when I was a kid and got my citizenship here when I was 10. I also have quite a few relatives who live in Munchen/Bavaria and spent 2 years while I was in the U.S. Army stationed in Philippsburg at Salm Kaserne which is close to Karlsruhe. If you need any help trying to find parts don't hesitate to email me and I will try to help.

Phil
    82K5

10. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Balou....Welcome aboard...nice to see another 79 K5 owner! I also spent 4 years in Germany while in the Army...first 2 years was spent in Hanau on Fliegerhorst Kaserne...the last 2 were spent at Weisbaden airbase...did manage to visit Mannhiem for the Monsters Of Rock concert in 87...what a blast that was..except for the drunk part and passing out on the train back to Hanau....lol. When i was stationed there i made friends with the a german guy who worked at Leufens speed shop in Hanau...are you familiar with that company? I meet him at the Hockenheim drag races...i got to work the Safety Crew...my old motor sargeants friend was the promoter of the race...it was a experience i'll never forget....as a first timer to the event i was made to hold the xmas tree at the start line up while the jet car launched!!!! One thing i really miss about Germany besides the awesome beer!... was every weekend we went to Franfurt...at the Haupt Baunhoff i allways bought a Euro or a big plate of Curry Wurst....wish i could taste that great food again!! Of course i do miss the big Fashing bash at Franfurts Ost park every year...i swear that Beir tent is bigger than our old shop....lol. Anyways please feel free to email me for help...i have all the factory manauls for that year and spare parts litter the garage...will trade for cases of Binding Beir....lol.

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

11. Balou

Balou 1/2 ton status

Incredible all you guys stayed in Germany!!!
    I'm really ashaimed, I'v never been to the US, just spend 6 weeks in Ontario after finishing high-school, having a lots of fun with an old Bronco I borrowed from a former german neighbour. That's when I decided to buy such a big bad toy in Germany. It took me another 10 years to realise it.
    It's a Feb.'79 Cheyenne with a 5.7 l and manual gear box (L+3), no idea what sort of engine or gear box.
    Main frame is in good condition, but needs some work.
    I allready renewed front fenders in- and outside, back still got a lot of rust, especially connetion between body and frame are in poor condition and are subject to TÜV complaints, which means I have to renew them in 1 month time. It's been used in the past as a trailer queen, mostly without hard top, that's what it looks like.
    If you could help me with some information about where to find specs like engine no., gearbox, transmission it would be very helpful to me to check-out what I really have in garage.

Balou

12. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Balou..open the glovebox...is the build sticker still their? If so post the numbers...the RPO codes..ie:9D6 etc...

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

13. SVBlazer

SVBlazer 1/2 ton status

Reading all this makes me want to go back to GE..today! Beer, food, concerts, trains, FUN!