Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Likes Dislikes about this cage design

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sapper, Sep 5, 2004.

1. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]

Forgot i had this picture, i think its a pretty good design but of course theres always inprovments, what are your ideas????

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think some "door bars" are probably needed, and possibly a bar in the middle of the windshield.

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

what a bout a horazontal bar, sholder hight for harness atachment, and mabey two bars inbetween the to on the floor under each seat to atach them to?
    might as well tie it all in togeather.

looks good though /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif you do it?

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Add the door bars and that is almost exactly my cage...

5. sapper

no it came off another web site of a not popular fabricator

6. sapper

by door bars are you talking about something from the middle of the b piller to the bottom of the a piller? If thats it then yea i wanted on of those as well.

7. BadDog

[ QUOTE ]
    what a bout a horazontal bar, sholder hight for harness atachment, and mabey two bars inbetween the to on the floor under each seat to atach them to?
    might as well tie it all in togeather.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Mine has the seat bars, but the harness attachment on mine works well without the cross bar. I put a pair of grab handles on the "V" bar at the correct height to route the shoulder straps over and to the floor. Problem with mounting them right behind the seats is that the straps are sometimes (often?) too long to mount that close to the seat.

8. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

ok cool, can you put the bar lower like small of your back hight, or can you just mount both strap in one spot where the V bar crosses center of the seat?

9. BadDog

No, the shoulder straps need to be supported vertically about 1-2" below your shoulders and behind the seat. If you mount it too low, you can get spinal compression in a frontal impact (like a head on, or going nose first over a bluff). Too high and you tend to want to rise up and wedge rather than have the strap cradle you shoulders holding down.

My "V" bar was just a little too far to the right for the driver's seat. So I made an "L" shaped piece out of 1" x 0.120" round tube bent with a 3" CLR on my bender. This was "hung" under the arm of the "V" so that the horizontal leg of the "L" piece was at the correct height. The straps run over this lower, horizontal leg before tying into the cross support near the base of the seat. The vertical bar of the "L" forms a hand hold aiding exit/entry to the back seat as well as an "oh shiiiiitttttt!" bar.

10. BadDog

You can see what I'm talking about here...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

oh i forgot you had a truggy /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

yeah i like that put them in the perfict spot with out compramising (sp) structual integraty

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i think some "door bars" are probably needed, and possibly a bar in the middle of the windshield.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thats what I was thinking... with all that bracing, I would just add the brace in the middle of the windsheld, then a cross bar at the b pillar for 4 or 5 pt. harnesses. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont see a need for the rear seat mounting bar and the little horizontal bar between the main hoop being two seperate pieces. They run parrelel and pretty close to each other... why not just use 1 piece of tube there? also, it'd prolly be more convenient to have the seat-mount crossmembers angled up on the ends as opposed to having just the little hump in the middle. Cleaning out the rigs interior would be easier that way. Now that I think about it, keep the rear set x-member and move the other horz bar up about half way on the main hoop. This way, you could mount harnesses to it. Make its center a node for x-bracing the main hoop and you'd be rockin.

Im not an engineer, just a normal guy using common sense... so dont take anything i saw about cage design as gospel. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

j

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I do not like the main hoop diagonals that terminate in the middle of an unsupported bar

15. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

which ones are you talking about?

16. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

OK, you're talking about the "V" behind the seats.

17. BadDog

[ QUOTE ]
    I do not like the main hoop diagonals that terminate in the middle of an unsupported bar

[/ QUOTE ]
    In my case that point is on the 2x3x0.188 cross-bar of the sub frame. In the drawing, that area is less than ideal, but I seriously doubt it would ever be an issue. The whole section is formed of 3 triangles so it's not like that cross bar has to support the whole structure. The only time I can see it being an issue is if it landed full force (as in dropped on from above, not rolled) on a boulder such that it collapsed the top cross bar which would allow the outer triangles to force the point down. The slight bend in the verticals weakens the b-hoop a bit (vs. straight), so that would put more stress on the center V, but it does not seem too bad to my mind... Cages can always be better and stronger by sacrificing weight, aesthetics, and ergonomics, but that design doesn't seem like a bad compromise.