Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lil help for 2 serious problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cwbytruckr, Jan 18, 2007.

1. cwbytruckr

cwbytruckr Registered Member

on my 86 suburban which is lifted 6 inches and runnin 37x13.50x16 pro comp xterrain tires..after blowin out the rear end 3 times when it was 1/2 ton, i dropped the 10-bolts and the 1/2 ton suspension and installed 3/4 ton everything out of a mid 80s chev pick up.. the rear leafs were longer so i ended up loosening the rear shackles and rotating them out to fit the springs.. i know this isnt healthy for the leafs and i want to get rid of my lift blocks inthe rear and do the flip shackle in the rear..my question on this is, will i have to relocate the flip shackle or can i run it in the same spot as the old shackles??:confused: i want to keep the lift 6 inch, any ideas on what do to maintain and even improve my situation... also when i put the 3/4 ton suspension in my suburban, i can turn to the left all day long with ease, but when i go to make a right hand turn, i have absolutely no turning radius and find myself having to back up to finish making a turn:mad1: ..ive tried to adjust the steering linkage to correct this problem but havent had any luck at all:doah: causein a serious headache and lots of drinkin..what can i do to fix that problem?? once i get those two problems taken care of, plan on building her up some more for bit mor serious offroadin

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

to get the correct shackle angle with the longer springs it is best to move the pearch, for the steering have you tried adjusting the drag link to center? That is a common problem for lifted chevys, if adjustment does not help you might want to look in to crossover steering

3. K-5 Bomber

K-5 Bomber 1/2 ton status

I got nothin' to offer in the flipped-shackle category; however, when I lifted my 85 K5, I had a similar problem with steering. It was a very simple fix for me. My dad showed me this so I gotta give him props on it...I just ain't that smart:crazy: Take a look at your steering knuckles. There should be an adjustable stud on the back side to limit the steering. The one on the right may be a little too long. Just don't make it too short or you'll be embarassed the first time you try to turn right onto an adjacent street.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Burbs have two different length rear springs, 52" and 56" and from what you say you must have had the 52's and now have the 56's. Doing a shackle flip will obviously lift the truck more than it already is but i think swapping the brackets from left to right side cures the extra length of your spring for a good shackle angle. As far as your steering, you need to readjust and center your draglink. You said you already tried but it didn't work, you must not have done something correctly. This is your problem assuming it was fine before the lift.

5. cwbytruckr

cwbytruckr Registered Member

i thank ya guys fer the input and i will be taking notes rigth now and get on fixin these issues when i get back to the states...do have another question though....lookin at gettin rid of the blocks in the rear and goin all spring for lift....now should i go with 56" 6 inch leafs with say a 2 inch reverse flip shackle so i can level out and not have the sag in the @$$ end or should i go with 4 inch revers flips???