Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Limited slip front/detroit rear

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87GMC, Dec 11, 2002.

1. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

What are your opinions on running this set up on snow covered or icy roads? Does it cause the front to push too much when turning?

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I am running this combo in the Blue K5, but haven't drove it in the winter yet. We are supposed to get snow within the next few days.. If we do, I will try it out and let you know.

Right now I am running: 10 Bolt front with Tru-Trac and 4.56's, 12 bolt rear with Detroit and 4.56's and 35x15.50 TSL's...

If you are looking for a pretty much locked up set-up for trail running, I would say no on the LSD up front. Save up your cash and get an ARB or OX(if they ever come out iwht a 10 bolt version).. The True trac seems to like to unlock when you need it most!

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

It can make it pretty exiting. You just get used to it. You can get going alot better but it will slide more under power.

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

I dont know if this is insulting to say this but........ When it unlocks Cant you just apply brakes lightly and it will transfer to the other tire? i heard someone talk about this before....

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

You insulting me??? /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Just kidding! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I have read this in posts also and thought it worked, but for the front I think it get thrown off some by the steering. However we were climbing up a smal embankment which had a tree at the top. We climbed the embankment and up the tree(please know flaming, the tree was not harmed). ONce he hit a certian point the True Trac kept unlocking. Keeping the tires straight, holding the brakes, etc.. Nothing helped to keep it from unlocking. Not sure if this LSD works differently because it is an all-gear LSD or what...

Next time we'll just save up the cash for an ARB rather than spend $300+ on an LSD....

6. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Mine pushs like a dirty SOB!! I have a twinstick 205 so I shift into front wheel drive so I can corner and then shift
    it back after I make the turn. It isn't too bad as long as
    your smooth on the throttle. Not too bad on fresh snow
    but on ice and snow packed roads it is worse. Good luck!!