Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Limited Slip Lube

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Polaris, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

So, I'm going to replace my worn-out Gov-Loc with another Gov-Loc in my 14FF rear axle. I know not to use additive in the lube with that, but what about using synthetic lube? Better to use it or not? I've been changing things over as I work on them, but don't want to put anything in that might interfere with it's function. Thanks!

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    So, I'm going to replace my worn-out Gov-Loc with another Gov-Loc in my 14FF rear axle. I know not to use additive in the lube with that

[/ QUOTE ]
    Why not? I've always used an additive in all the axles I've had Gov-Loc's in without any problems.

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

the additive is just a friction modifier and the gov-loc has clutches just the same as an auburn or any other LSD diff /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Royal purple has the additive built in, otherwise if you dont run additives then yeah I would run a synthetic. Read the bottles though, some say not to use in diff with clutches and other others say made for diffs with LSD's /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I agree, you do need to add the friction modifier to the gear oil.

Be careful when buying gear oil for this. Most brands will say their product is "compatible" with LSD's but that does not mean the additive is already in the bottle. You still need to add additional tube of friction modifier.

FYI - I've had the best luck with the K&W brand. When I worked at a dealer we used it for a while but began having complaints because the LSD's were behaving too aggressively. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif