Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Limited slip or...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mud hungry, Sep 23, 2005.

1. mud hungry

mud hungry 1/2 ton status

Best limited slip or locker for a dd 97 half ton silverado. This will most likely never see hardcore use if any off road use but looking to add something in the back so that it will hook up with the road better plus help with plowing. Any suggestions?

2. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Go Detroit!!! Detroit Locker all the way. If you dont want to lock it look at the Eaton "Posi"

3. mud hungry

How well does the Detroit work for the road. I know that it is awesome off-road locker but doesn't it wear the tires more going around corners if it locks or is it capable in allowing the faster speed of the outside tire without chirping or locking up?

4. 78 k5

78 k5 1/2 ton status

I don't know if they make one for the 10 bolt but an ARB or any other push button will obviously be the best combo for street/plowing....but who wants to throw that kind of money in a 10 bolt :confused:

5. trailblazr81

I had a Detroit in the black of my daily driver 81 Blazer for years. Your OK if yo go easy on the throttle. If you are at a stop and make a 90 degree turn while really geting on it you will hear the tire chirp. And if you accelerate out of the turn you feal it lock up and may have to turn the wheel a little more. You get used to it after a while. So i guess the tires will wear a little faster but prety even seeing how you wil be making left and right turns. But you can feal it lock and unlock tho it isnt drastic...

6. mud hungry

Has anyone ever used the powertrax no-slip locker how do they work and how WELL do they work?

7. mud hungry

Detriot and the powertrax are about the same in price what would be a better option for me?

8. mud hungry

anyone?

9. trailblazr81

The Powertrax is OK... Ive heard of 'em holding up with 37's so you should be fine. They are easier to install because you dont need to reset the ring gear. Supposed to be able to install in a couple hours in yer driveway. I know with the earlier/cheaper Lock-Rights you could "FEEL" 'em more than a deroit. But I guess the newer No Slips that are in the $400 range are sopposed to be quieter and less harsh. The Powertrax will save you $$ on install and since you dont have huge tires wont have to worry about stock carrier strength.
    :waytogo: