Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

limited slip

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Oblin Goblin, May 15, 2000.

1. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

Will a factory limited slip rear end just wear out and stop working eventually, or will it start acting funny when it wears out. The options list for my Blazer says a I have a limited slip rear end but when I got stuck in the snow today only one rear wheel appeared to spin. Would I be able to tell if it was worn out just by looking at it? When I had my transmission rebuilt I also had them change the gear oil and no one said anything about the rear diff needing fixing. I've never taken the diff cover off myself so I'm not 100% sure it's got a posi rear end but I don't see why it would say so on the options list under the hood if it didn't. My truck has 197000 miles on it so it would make sense to me if it was worn out.

2. Nike

Nike Registered Member

You probably have an Eaton limited slip unit, and yes they do wear out. You might try to add a small tube of special limited slip oil (available at the dealer, and kind of expensive) to the rear diff. That cured a problem I had with mine some time back. Nike

Blue

3. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Where did you get your information ?
    I have called Eaton, and GM they both say that the Eaton Gov-lock does not wear out under normal use.
    They claim ever if some wear occurs that the ratching lock mechemism will take that into account.

4. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

My Eaton govlock was a pile!I tore it out and replaced with an auburn limited slip diff, i bought it from a catalog for about 275 and had it installed for 60 dollars. I've never regretted it.

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

What do you expect Eaton or GM to say..............."yeah, the posi in your new $30,000 truck will be worn out after about 40,000 miles of normal use.........". The Gov-Lok has clutches, clutches wear out....once the clutches wear out, it's difficult to get the "ratcheting mechanism" to engage (lock up), and it does, it usually explodes due to the shock load caused of the huge amount of wheelspin on one tire and not the other....which is due to the worn out clutches........

6. Executioner

I think you have been to Trac-Lok school and can't seem to get the spring out of your head.....
    I totally disagree with your opinion.

7. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

If you have been to the the school then you should understand that every thing wears out!! By there design there not smothe, They waite for a tire to spin befor they lock and they they loock with a pop. True at higher speeds they should be locked but at low off road speeds there not till the wheel spin's

8. Cornfed-90K5

Cornfed-90K5 Registered Member

I just had my Eaton "grenade lock" go out. It gave me the oportunity to change gears and I put Auburns front and rear.

Cornfed-90K5
    1990 K5 Blazer
    1977 Jeep CJ5

9. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Executioner:
    So I suppose you are a trained expert on limited slip differentials, huh.
    Well, everyone has the right to their own opinion and reasons behind that opinion, but unless you have "verifiable facts" (remember that one?), or at least a somewhat reasonable explanation as to why you disagree, don't go around making dumb-$%$ replies to other people's posts.
    As a couple of side notes....
    I will try to attain a assembly drawing of a Dana Trac-Lok for "verifiable facts" on the clutch pre-load springs.
    I will NOT reply back to any additional dumb-$%$ posts directed at me by you, so don't waste your time.

10. Executioner

Ok, sorry to troulbe you. Please don't waste you time with the asembly drawing for the Trac-Lok, I aready
    have a couple(its on the Dana site if you really want to look at one) FYI there is no spring(s), and it is
    verifiable.

Just admit that and we will forget the Trac-Lok spring issue.
    Ofcousre you can try to prove there are sping(s) if you want to by al means go ahead.

And yes I have many many years of R&R of Dana(Spice) Trac-Lok(s).
    and also other specialty areas of Blazer. Expert no, thats why I was questioning you, I though maybe you
    know something I didn't, and could back it up by "verifiable facts"

Its ok to disagree !

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Okay, Mr. Executioner, here is my last post on this subject which contains verifiable facts on the Trac-Lok differential containing a SPRING loaded clutch pack.
    Reference the 1999 Chrysler Corporation Service manual for a Dodge Dakota vehicle (though just about any year or any Jeep or Truck model service manual will have the same basic thing in it).

Section 3 entitled Differential and Driveline, page 56
    sub-heading "Trac-Lok Operation", starting at paragraph 2
    "In the Trac-Lok differential, part of the ring gear torque is transmitted through clutch packs which contain multiple discs. The clutches will have radial grooves on the plates, and concentric grooves on the discs or bonded fiber material that is smooth in appearance.
    In operation, the Trac-Lok clutches are engaged by two concurrent forces. The first being the preload force exerted through (ring, ring, ring, here it comes!!!!) BELLEVILLE SPRING WASHERS within the clutch packs."

Please look at the attached picture for this page.

If you go to page 76 of the same section, in the sub-heading "Trac-Lok - Disassembly", step 9 states "Tighten forcing screw too 122 N-m (90 ft-lbs.) maximum to compress (here it comes again) BELLEVILLE SPRINGS in clutch packs".

Please keep in mind that on the old original post that started this little confrontation, Executioner asked what these springs looked like, I didn't reply at the time because I didn't know for sure. For anyone interested as to what these springs look like, do a search on Belleville Springs.

To all other readers, sorry for the rambling, but my patience has been exceeded by this Executioner guy and his pointless replies. I'm sure he will have some reply, but I've wasted enough time with him. Just keep this in mind the next he talks about his "many, many years of R&R of Dana Trac-Loks and other specialty areas of Blazer".

12. Black89k5

Black89k5 Registered Member

Yeah Executioner i believe you are wrong. I called my dad on this one and he said that they do contain springs. And the info 6.2BLAZER has given i dont see how u can denie the truth.

13. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I know my Dana Power-lok does in my Dana 60 rear!
    I don't know why the Executioner is so grumppy all the time??[​IMG] This is a place for great info and fun a smile[​IMG] is way better than a frown[​IMG] don't ya think! Life is way too short!!

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin

14. Executioner

Yup, your right a spring is a spring. Sorry I thought you had agreed with the poster who posted the
    Auburn Gear COIL SPRINGS, but you are right you only agreeded to the same princilpe, darn you are
    hard to nail down your definition of spring...........
    Maybe the readers will say spring force
    You win you have proved that the Dana(Spicer) Trac-Lok do infact contain a spring.
    Good job, keep up the good "verifiable facts"
    May the Spicer gods be with you.

15. kermit

kermit Registered Member

Ouch.....major confusion headache here. Bear with me folks - I'm not trying to restart the arguement or say that anybody is wrong....I just want to understand how these things work. I've only ever taken one rear differential apart - the 1985 full floating Dana 60 w/ factory Trac-Loc in my truck. I initially agreed with Executioner that there were no springs in the diff, but after I looked up a diagram of the Belleville washers I recognized them as parts that I removed from my diff. My confusion arises from the fact that the ones I removed were NOT in the clutch packs....they were under the spider gears. My clutch packs were just stacks of clutches....nothing else except some clips on the sides holding them together. My assumption is that the Belleville springs exert force on the spider gears towards the center of the differential along the pinion pin. The shape of the gears translates this center-ward force on the spiders into outward force on the side gears, thereby compressing the clutch packs. Does this sound right? Everything in my rear diff was tight, and there didn't appear to be any places where pieces were missing. After seeing how tight the clearances were (and how much of a pain it was to get the spiders out), I don't see any place that a spring washer could have been inside of the clutch packs. Did I just have an earlier/different version of the Trac-Loc?

It's all a moot point in my diff now, since everything has been replaced with a PowerTrax No-Slip unit......it just frustrates me to not know how it worked before I changed it. My initial impression upon seeing the Belleville washers was that they were just conical shims put there to set the engagement pattern between the spider and side gears. Now that I know they are springs it kind of makes sense, because I didn't see any way that the clutch packs could have been compressed other than being forced into place during installation with a non-adjustable pre-set tension.

Len

half Chevy + half Jeep = Cheep!