Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

limited slip

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by motorheadnelson, Feb 2, 2003.

1. motorheadnelson

motorheadnelson Registered Member

I want to yank the lock-right and put a limited slip in the ol' 12 bolt. Looking at the Auburn Gear, the heavy duty Auburn, Eaton..Any input on these or others? Truck sees mostly street duty, daily driver. Does Detroit make a similar unit? Leaning towards the heavy duty Auburn. Stll want it to hook pretty good. Thanks

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

What size tires are you running? It you have 35s or smaller, I would say an auburn pro series. I have had real good luck with them, especially in my race car.
    BTW I will take that old lockright from you. I blew up the mini spool in my 12 bolt, and need something to get it going again /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

3. motorheadnelson

motorheadnelson Registered Member

I'm running 35's, 4.10 gears with a 454/350T. I saw the Detroit Tru Trac, looks like a medium duty unit. How are the street manners of the Pro series? I want to get away from the locker because of the way it steers the truck. Looking for open diff handling. I want to keep the locker, though..put the carrier, bearings and shims away just in case I want to drop it back in, ya know..Thanks

4. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I have seen good results from both the HD Auburn and the 800lbs. pre-load Eaton . Street manners are very good with clutch groan and slight tire slip on occasion. I would lean towards the Eaton due to the rebuild ability .
    Tom

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I had an Auburn in my 10 bolt, and it worked pretty well. I liked it for street and occasional offroad use. It had great street manner. The only time you knew it was there was if you got on the gas hard around a corner and the inside tire would start to chirp.

Nothing beats lockers for the trail though. I learned that last night.

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I have used the auburn heavy duty units in some street cars. Had good luck with them. I like the way the carrier splits. makes rebuild easy. Only problem I ever had was once the carrier bolts backed out. They warrantied it. and life was good agian. Much stronger than any stock carrier.