Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Limited slip

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by aburnett, May 20, 2003.

1. aburnett

aburnett Registered Member

ok. My truck has a GM 12 bolt rear w/ 3.73. Right now I have it completely dismantled the rear to replace outside racer and pinion bearing. While I have it all apart I want to replace the open differential with a limited slip. It wont be a daily driver with ocasional off roading. So limited slip is all I really need. I'm runing stock tires now with maybe 33x12.5 when these wear out.
    Basically I'm asking my cheapest options.
    Any model chevy's I can look for in yards with limited slip diffs to fit 12 bolt GM?
    Any after market under $400(had no idea they cost so much)?
    Ive looked at previous posts and havent found much to help me out.

2. the cork

the cork 1/2 ton status

ive used the eaton super brute with very good results,
    i think its between $350-$400, its made with strong components, its rebuildable, it can be set up for different
    spring loads, mine never slipped except going around corners on pavement, theres constant spring pressure on
    both side gears, so you dont have to wait for it to kick in
    like some models, i dont know what the best unit is to use
    but the eaton super brute is good in my opinion, dont
    confuse it with the gov-loc found in factory trucks, /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif