Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

limiting straps

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 55Willy, May 28, 2004.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I know superlift has em, and I found some on ebay from a VW buggy dealer. I have some spongy ford springs and running DT's for shocks and I'm looking at getting some starps to keep then together. I was wondering who here is running them and do you run one in the rear or one per shock? I'm thinking of one per corner to keep the shocks from hyperextending.

-Jeremy

also is $90 for 4 shipped extreme for a 34" strap?

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The price sounds good, especially for that long of one. And yes one per corner. Make sure they bottom out about a 1/2" before your shock does to keep it alive.

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

also what about getting them a 1/2" shorter then the shock and mounting it to the shock bolts?? vs. the spring plate frame rail mounting tabs??

4. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thats what I plan on doing and thats what I see as the most commonly done. Should work just fine.

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Thats what I plan on doing and thats what I see as the most commonly done. Should work just fine.

[/ QUOTE ]
    As long as we're talking about mounts stronger than factory. The factory stuff tends to rip off when the shock bottoms or tops repeatedly. Same thing with a limit strap other than the strap wouldn't shock quite as bad. I know Jeremy has replaced his, but just throwing that out for the masses...

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

After going back to oregon this past wekeend and being able to crawl around the wagon I'm thinking of:

on the rear mounting them on the shocks, the lower mount is on the spring plate the upper mount is a hoop that Greg72 bent up for me. that is bolted tot he frame and is hooked together to the other side.

the front I will go off the spring plates and make a mount on the engine crossmember for the upper. I was gonna do the shocks on the front but I don't want the tire to grab them.