Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Limiting travel on your steering ram?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Esteban86K5, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

O.K. I just finished doing High Steer on my dana 60 and with the tie rod closer to the center of the axle, I have less travel from lock to lock. It only gives me about 5 inches and my ram has 8 inches. SO my question is how do I limit the travel on the ram? I am waiting for a call back from Matt at WTOR but thought I'd post here to get some other opinions.

One seuggestion that was given to me was to get a peice of 1" delrin plastic and drill the inside hole to the size of the shaft, cut it to lenght, and put it inside and outto limit the travel. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for you help in advance. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

Don't use plastic, a hyd ram will crush it easly. They make hyd ram limiting spacers, go to any place that caries hyd cylinders and they can get you some cheep. I think the ones I ordered a month ago at work were 15-20$

3. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

Right on on the limiting block. You could even have a machine shop cut it down to exactly the size needed.

4. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I spoke to Matt at WTOR and he said the same thing. Don't use the plastic just use steel for it. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Thanks guys!