Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lincoln 135 Question

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by stockk5, Jun 13, 2006.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hey, i have a lincoln 135 welder i got 2 years ago, been using it a bunch, worked great. I let my friend borrow it, he was welding some c-notch stuff into his frame for airbags.. yes i know not the best choice of welder, he is gonna go over it w/ another one. Anyways, he was just about done w/ it but now every time he pulls the trigger the wire gets burned up and snaps right near the rollers inside the actual welder itself. Any clue what could cause this? how to fix it? :doah:

2. botboy

botboy 1/2 ton status

Pull the gun out at the welder, pull all the wire out, blow it out for a few minutes with an air blow-gun, shavings/rust/dirt/dust in the liner can cause such problems.

3. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

really? so like maybe the dust metal shavings are causing a short or sumthing where the wire is getting pulled through hmmm i will have to try that!

4. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

bot boy gave you great advice..

burnback can happen for several reasons.. too high an amperage (trust me that isnt happening on a 135)... internal defects ( that might be happening).. poor maintenance is possible.. so bot boys suggestions are correct

5. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

I have probably the same welder as you, SP135 right? anyway when I swap out liners for AL, you would be amazed how much junk is in there. I take really good care of my stuff, and it still gets dirty, but I have never had the problem you are speaking of. I would also check the cables at the polarity terminals to make sure they are secure, and not arcing over to the rollers, possibly one is frayed or something down in that area.