Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lincoln 175 vs. Hobart 180 vs. Miller 175

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikey_d05, Nov 30, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I can get any of the three for within $100 of each other. Lincoln being cheapest, Miller being most expensive.

What is everyone using these days? I know there are plenty of threads on welders but what's one more. :p:

I'd appreciate all opinions, even if it's just a certain brand loyalty.

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

They will all be good welders. The Hobarts are made by miller and have some miller parts in them. I have never welded with a Hobart but I have welded with a Lincoln and a Miller. The miller has better adjustments. But I say if they are within $100 of each other to just get the Miller.

3. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

i have the Miller 175, bought it new. its about 1 yr old now, i LOVE it. our machine shop has the Lincoln 175 plus. i LOVE it too. the difference is that the Miller has nicer features on it. the quick change wire guide wheel, so you dont have to remove a screw to change rollers like the Lincoln has. the tip holder block for the tips that the Lincoln does not have. and the tension knob on the Miller has numbered lines so you can go right back to the same tension, where the Lincoln just has a wing nut, so you have to count the turns, or just "wing it' :haha: pun intended........ sorry wasn't that funny.
    i dont know about the Hobart other then i think they are made by Miller also. my bud is a MANY years certified welder, his company has tried ALL that are out there. they buy exclusively Miller. they are ALL good or great welders, atleast the name brand ones, but for my money it will allways be a Miller that i buy.

4. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Hobart. It is a miller, the only real difference is the case and it has a plastic drive gear instead of a metal one like the miller. They are generally cheaper than Miller's, and you are getting pretty much the exact same machine. Ill be buying a Hobart.

5. stayaway

stayaway Registered Member

I have a miller 210 and love it for all close to the same $ I would go miller

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I loved my Lincoln. It was the more expensive one when I bought, but I have always had luck with Lincoln welders so I didn't care to change. I really didn't like the plastic drive roller thing with the Hobart.

And if the Hobart is more expensive than the Lincoln you are either getting ripped off or a really good deal...

7. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I know the Hobart and Miller are pretty much the same, but I figured there were a few differences like you guys pointed out. I always liked the Lincoln's we had in the school shop but I loved the Miller machine. I found a Miller with a cart and free shipping for $50 more than the Lincoln, I think I'll give the Miller the nod.

Thanks guys.

8. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

go to a weld shop and if they have the machines you are considering look at the features, you will see the differences.

9. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

hobarts are basically rebadged millers "BUT" i have been told that the innards are better in the miller- the windings in the miller are copper as opposed to the hobart being aluminum. a couple other things too... i am in the same exact situation in i need a welder-----with everthing ive researched im going with the miller---yes it is more expensive, but you get more than what you pay for with the millers i have used.

thats my story and im sticking to it.---ps what prices did you find, the cheapest i found was a newin box machine from a reputable business on ebay for $598 shipped.