Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lincoln lock the D60 or leave it open????whatcha think?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bushwhacker, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well I want some opinions to either lincoln lock the front D60 or leave it open till next summer and do an ARB. Would have done the selectable now but ran out of money doing this axle swap, so it has to wait. What do you all think?? It is street driven sometimes but on the trail I like traction in the front! I am at a point now where I can weld up the spiders. Or wait and run it open till I get an ARB. I definitely want a selectable locker in the future. Should I leave it alone and wait or break out the welder and have at it?? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Clay
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

dont ever weld a front diff on a rig that sees ANY street miles. seriously, I wouldnt even weld the front on a trail only rig. The steering negatives far ourweigh the traction posetives IMO... just save ur $ and get the arb when u have enough dough. A cheaper alternative if you MUST have a locked up front NOW is to search the for sale forums on some 4x4 sites and see if u can find a drop in locker like a lockright or aussielocker. cheaper than the arb, and you'll still be able to turn...

j

3. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i say no on the welding but i plan on a detrot locker on a trail rig only

4. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

but cant you weld it and unlock the hubs and it will be fine for street use /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i think the outside wheel can turn faster then the drive wheel with the d locker and if you unlock the hubs it should drive like a 4x2

6. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

you're right. when you unlock the hubs in the front nothing's engaged so it'll be fine for the street.

7. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thanks guys, I think I will just leave it open for now. I know when my front D44 was in it, locker also, it was real hard on my power steering pump and gearbox on the trail. Got real hot after a while. I will just have to pull cable if the three wheel action gets me hung up /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. heck, done it before! Time to start the ARB fund.
    Thanks,
    Clay
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

A little light braking would probably help too in that situation. I think your better off not doing it simply so that if it fails, your don't destroy anything else in there. SPent too much on it it to have to redo the whole damn thing too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif