Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lincoln weld-pak 100

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by 84CUCV, Jan 21, 2007.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

How is this for someone about to take his first welding class? I can get it for 100 bucks and it been used only a few times. as always thanks for the help

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

For $100 it is not a bad deal at all. If you are going to pay full price then pay some extra and get something a little better. It will be good enough for you to start to learn with & get some time with but if you are going to start fabbing on a regular basis you are going to want more welder. It will work for regular fabbing if you learn good technique and are a patient person.

Harley

3. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I second what he says, if its $100, its a no brainer.

4. 84CUCV

just wondering do you know what it sells for? thanks for the help i will go pick it up.

5. Hossbaby50

go to home depot or its website. They sell lincoln weldpaks. The number $349 sticks in my mind but I may be wrong.

Harley

6. FWP

FWP CRS

That's about right Harley.

The welder itself- I love mine, having got to know it well for 4+ years now. Hell, 90% of the welds (FCAW) on my truggy were done using it:o :D ...And yes- they're ugly:haha:

You do have to make sure you have a 20 amp outlet not being used by anything else if you want to burn deep. Surface prep really helps the burn as well.

7. 84CUCV

What do you mean by burn deep?

8. Hossbaby50

He is talking about getting good penetration (depth of weld) on heavier material like 1/4" plate steel.

Harley

9. 84CUCV

Walked away with it for 75. hada whole truck of stuff for sale. Got some other tools for a good price too. thanks for the help

10. 1-tonmudder

1-tonmudder 1/2 ton status

If it does not have the kit to use gas added on it wont weld worth a crap.

11. Hossbaby50

Why? Flux Core = Crap?

Harley

12. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Hmm, my non-gas WeldPak 100 lays down very nice welds. Just don't try to use it on sheet metal. The thicker wire used for flux-core welding seems to require too much heat to melt properly and just burns through. Thinner, solid wire and gas will do much better for thin stuff.

I really like the portability of the WeldPak 100. Buddies that need stuff welded will always have a 120 volt outlet at their house. Many don't have a 240 volt outlet in the garage, or if they do, it always seems to have the wrong plug style. :(

13. 84CUCV

Good to know thanks

14. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

A also second the "Huh"? Flux core welds pretty decent, it's just dirty looking.

15. 1-tonmudder

1-tonmudder 1/2 ton status

Yeah I was reffering to thinner stuff-sheetmetal,exhaust pipe,ect.

16. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

The weld pak 100 is a hobby welder.. its ok to start to learn with but for general fab it is too light duty (10% duty cycle )...
    You will very quickly outpace it for general fab work. To weld non critical stuff with it might be ok.. but even as an experienced weldor I would not make any critical welds with it.. and this includes chassis fab.. fix a gate sure... weld a lawnmover deck..ok.. but not in vehicle work doing anything that might affect my safety
    Dont bother buying the gas valve for it and a bottle.. waste of money..unless you are never going to do anything other than make light guage fencing and weld on sheetmetal.. harry is right about fluxcore.. its hard to weld sheetmetal with.. but using .023 hardwire the 100 will weld acceptably on light gauge

the good news is that you can play with it as long as you like and sell it anytime and make all your money back.. at that point.. when you have some experience buy a 220 volt machine and own it for for life...

We certify (ICAR) on the SP135HD in Lincoln Welding School.. and use it around NASCAR for sheet metal (if the operator is very skilled sometimes on the tube frames,, but usually we tig them)... the 135 is getting phased out for a newer series (145).. still 110 volt... I still carry the 135 on my welding rig when I need to weld on a tower, inside a manhole, or other places its hard to drag my LN25. (220v portable wire feeder machine)... but when it comes time to put out electicity I have to drag the big boy with me

For 95 percent of what people do here in this forum you can get by with a small 220v machine... but a 135,, no,, not safely.. a 100... forget it

Im a red man... but the blue guys work just as well

17. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm with Cams. I stress to get a 220v machine if a person has or can wire in a 220v plug and has the money for a slightly more expensive machine. 110v's are just so limited, but mainly they are very slow. I can cover three times as much "ground" with my Lincoln 200amp machine compared to my Miller 135. I'm not kidding either, I ran out of wire in my 220v and had to resort to the 110v machine to finish a job, I did three times the work with the 220v in the same amount of time.

18. 84CUCV

thanks guys, i will start with this and step up when the time comes.