Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Line lock for E-brake?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5kev, Apr 15, 2004.

1. k5kev

k5kev Registered Member

Just finished up a 14BFF swap with GM (not Caddy) disk brakes and was wondering if using a line lock for an E-brake is a good option? does it work? is it safe? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

If so should I just install one for the rear, or go ahead and install two for the front and rear. Will they hold for an extended period of time, say weeks? What happens if you engage them going 65 mph down the freeway? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Thanks in advance for the input. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

It will work for a parking brake for short periods of time. They can leak down over the course of hours/days/weeks depending on the condition of your brake system. It will not truely be a emergency brake. If your hydrolic brakes fail you are SOL. I have a t-case e-brake setup from highangle driveline...it is well worth it.

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yup Line locks lock the hydrolic pressuer in the line keeping your calipers loaded. In time if used as a parking brake rutinely over night and such your calipers will fail early. Line locks are best when used for only minutes at a time not hrs/days/weeks. Get a block of wood or do what Triaged did /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Well I'll just say this, E-brake= Emergency brake. In other words its a mechanical application to override the hydro system. I would only use a line lock for some offroad conditions, and limited use parking on the street if at all.