Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

line-x and roll-cage

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 74k5inVA, May 10, 2002.

1. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

i would like to know how you would do this. i replaced the cab floor and am going to get the entire inside line-x'd. I am also going to get a custom 6 or 8 point cage put in, and a fast-trac soft top. my question is. what order should i do this in? if i get the cage first, the sot-top may not fit properly, right? also i need to get holes cut in the floor to put the cage in, but the line-x guy doesn't want to have to spray around the cage. should i get the soft-top, make the cage guy custom a cage that will fit inside the soft-top, cut the holes in the floor, get it line-x'e and then put the cage in? sounds right doesn't it. what do you think.

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i'll help clear this up for you.

1) go buy 1 gallon and 1 pint of Herculiner ($105 if you can find it on sale, $140 otherwise)

2) take the $600 you saved by NOT Line-xing it and buy your soft top

3) Install said soft top

4) Have 6/8 point roll cage fabbed and installed

5) mask off said cage, appy herculiner

6) don't get herculiner on your hootus

7) with the extra $500 you saved, treat the misses to a "I love you" evening which will get you more "But I really love YOU" nights wrenching on your truck and/or Pizza and beer with the guys.

Glad I planned this for you?/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif/forums/images/icons/wink.gif/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

excellent! a date at micky d's ought get me in the clear for at least 3 months!!! haha, i can hear em typing replies now.

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

in all seriousness, the way i described it saves money, time and frustration IMHO

5. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

i think that is what i am going to do. thanks for the info. did you por15 or anything before herculiner?

6. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I cleaned mine well with acetone and put a grinder to some of the rough welds. Applied and moved on ;-) Love it too

7. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

make sure you dont get it on your hootus....very important/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Later

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

no POR-15 on my truck.

grind really good the spots that need it and wipe it down 2x with acetone or like substance.

Do all the herculiner at once. i did mine is stages and it is slightly different colors. just astectic stuff.