Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Line X guy told me $1500 for paint job...WTF!!!???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PetaKane, Sep 6, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Is there anything else? I thought Line X was supposedly the best but it's too much. I told them they could do it in bright ass yellow and put a full back windshield sticker on for free advertisement. That was good for a $1200 job. That is BS, does anybody have any connections for spray-in lining places that can do it for $600 max?

2. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I went to several places, Line-X, Ameraguard, Speedliner and all of them wanted the same price range about $1200-$1500. The other way to get it cheaper is to do the body work/prep work yourself. Did you tell them you would do the prep work yourself and that's the quote they gave you?

3. MontanaLifted

MontanaLifted 1/2 ton status

See if there is anyone around you that sprays "Bullhide"
    I swear to God that this is the best. Don't do Rhinoliner unless you want it to end up grey, yeah it fades.
    Bullhide is stronger than Rhino and more affordable because it hasn't gotten "commercialized" yet.
    I know it's only $350 bucks up here in Montana to have your entire full size 8' bed done. That's about the same amount of area you have when you take out all the seats.

4. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

By prep work, do you mean sanding and stuff? I thought with line x they could just spray over the old paint?

5. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Well for that stuff to "bite" the surface needs to be roughed up and if your paint is peeling then it needs even more work. Also, remove any body trim you don't want on and fill any holes you want flled.

6. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Nope, you have to prep the surfaces just like you would to paint. Actually ,BETTER than you would to paint. I used to work in a body shop and have seen what some people call prep work. We used to send stuff back all the time because of lousy prep.

You need to scuff up all surfaces you want to spray real good, and grind/brush all the rusty spots and cover them with some kind of rust killer/inhibitor type paint. Many people recommend POR-15. It is great stuff, but very pricey, and they don't honor their warranty unless you use all of their products together. That gets WAY spendy. I use a product from my local auto paint supply store. Cost me $40 in materials including the 1/2 gallon of the paint (I did the entire inside of my truck with the paint). You need to put at least 2 coats on (you can do this with a throw away brush if you want to) and when it dries, scuff it up lightly with a green scratcher pad. Then take it back to the place and they should quote you about $350-$400 for the spray job. That should be from the front under the dash all the way to the back including the tailgate, sides, rocker panels, and kick panels on the doors and at the bottom of the foot wells.

If you want to go real cheap, go to your local autobody store and ask for hippo liner. It'll cost you about $150 for everything (all prep materials, rust kill paint, and the liner) and you can do it yourself if you want a good weekend project.

I would say that's my $0.02, but I think it's more like $0.05! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Anyway, hope this helps!

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i herculined my entire tub for $200 came out good, IMO. pics are in the top sig link. i fades, but who FRICKING CARES!?! i wheel the wee outta it (when it runs /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif )

8. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    You need to scuff up all surfaces you want to spray real good

[/ QUOTE ] i'm no expert, actually i know jack out line-x but find it hard to believe that all the surfaces need to be scuffed. i mean if i brought in a new 2002 chevyHD to have line-xed i don't see them taking a scotch pad to the hole bed. same would go for our rigs if the surface is clean and rust free they should just be able to shoot it on. but once again is could just be talking out my a$$. thats my 2 cents. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

9. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

I'm actually doing the interior myself in hurculiner, but I wanted to get line x on the exterior. I was gonna do all of it in red, except for the hardtop. But if I have to do hurculiner on the exterior as well, I will. I just wanted to have that purty red line x uses, the red hurculiner is ugly so I'd have to get black.

10. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

A good friend of mine owns a local Rhino Lining Shop. He does all the work for all of the local new truck dealers. Every last one is sanded and scuffed up prior to spraying on the liner. When I had my interior done, even though I did a great deal of prep work myself, they still scuffed and sanded the entire interior again.

11. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i AM sure for Black 600 would be doable. 1200 for yellow sounds about right... depends on what all they have to mask off and prep let alone repair.
    i have been working with my line-x dealer for about 5 montsh now. he is going to do my rig for 500. inside and out. i WAS going to put all 3 of his business on my windows.. but now only having one window we will work that out later. also he is down to 2 bus now.
    Yello is the most expensive color from them. rhino(sucks in my eyes) can do yellow for less.
    send me a PM of EXACTLY what you want done. ill run it by mike and let ya know.
    grant

12. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Well,the scuffed up surfaces give the liner a good surface to cling to. You COULD just shoot it onto a clean smooth surface, but it would peel up sooner or later. I know it seems like a lot of work, but I'd rather do it once and do it right. Everytime I take a short cut it bites me in the arse! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif