Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Linear Amp and my antenna

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by VA-NC-SC, Jan 14, 2003.

1. VA-NC-SC

VA-NC-SC Registered Member

I recently bought a 150watt RMS/ 300 watt max Linear that I plan to use with my K40 Baseload lip mount on 11 meter (CB). Can anyone tell me how much power this antenna can hold? The amp has variable power settings ( 1 - 6 ) so how can I test how many watts it is putting out before i plug it into my antenna to be sure it does not exceed whatever I discover to be the max?

2. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

My experience with the K40's is that they can't handle too much power. A 300 watt amp would most likely be too much. You can look for a website that lists the rated wattage for your antenna but they rarely work to full rated power before going up in smoke.

As for measuring the output of your amp get a watt meter and a dummy load that is rated for 300+ watts. If you can open the amp up and tell me how many of the large white transistors it has and what the numbers are that should be stamped on them say I can give you a rough idea of what it really should be putting out.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Checking with friend who is a K40 dealer ( Bigfoot )

4. VA-NC-SC

VA-NC-SC Registered Member

what exactly happens if too much power gets sent through the antenna? would the wilson counterpart to the k40 baseload lip mount perform better under the pressure of the amp?

5. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

Just my opinion but the wilson's always handled power better than k40's. I've seen a k40 glow before ,lol. You can try it but definitely put a swr meter on it before you burn something up. I'd go with a wilson trucker style, like the 5000. You would have several different options on mounting it.