Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

linear for cb's

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by rcpilot, Feb 4, 2003.

1. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

linear for cb\'s

Are there linear's for none ssb cb's?? If so what how many watts can a Wilson 1000 hold? Thanks.. newbie to cb's

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: linear for cb\'s

Linears are not for CB's. But we all know alot of people use them on CB's. The same one the works for SSB will work on AM. Personally I'd recomened a modulator instead of a linear.

3. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

Z3PR is right they will work. I also agree that if your only wanting a small but good boost for the buck go with a modulator. For the big boost, and bucks too, get a big linear and drive it with a modulator. You will have to make sure it is a high drive linear and capable of that. Look around on the web and you will find them. Shop around though because prices can vary. A couple of popular names are texas star and palomar. Also, make sure if you go with a bigger one that your altenator can handle the current drain. They can pull some amps when you start going over a couple hundred watts. As for your Wilson 1000, Wilson rates it at 3000 peak. I would personally rate it around 2000 peak.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

So a Texas Star Modulator driving a Boomer 600 Linear. Thats what a friend of mine is doing. Works real good too !!!!!!

5. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info guys.. I'll look into a modulator /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

And a modulator is leagle to use on 11 meter (CB).

7. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Uh.... NO they aren't. The max legal power is 4 watts or 12 watts PEP.

Plus what most people call a modulator isn't really a modulator anyway. They are really just regular amplifiers that have a whole lot of resistance on the input to give it a lower deadkey. A true modulator would be WAY too complex to build for a CB. I'll explain what a real modulator does if you want the technical info but it's a bit complicated.

8. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

If you are looking for an AM only amp then I would suggest X-force. They aren't as cheap as some of the other brands but put out a whole lotta power. For real power check out this amp. The XT-400!
    [​IMG]

Takes a pretty strong alternator to make it really perform but is outright awesome for AM use. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

There is no need for a driver because it has one built in!

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I thought a modulater was leagle becouse it doesn't increase the deadkey, only the swing. I'll have to check into it. Sorry if I posted incorrect information.

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Modulator [​IMG]