Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Linear

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by VA-NC-SC, Jan 19, 2003.

1. VA-NC-SC

VA-NC-SC Registered Member

I bought a linear (RM KL400) that uses 2 MRF455 Transistors. How much power should this put out?

2. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

3. VA-NC-SC

VA-NC-SC Registered Member

ya i saw that, I think there are more factors, a guy on radiotech.org says he thinks it will peak around 230-250 watts... i dont know how, i saw the 60w thing also...

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Some manufatures list the sideband power ratings as the max out put. AM power is less then 1/2 that of sideband power.

5. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

Linears are like car stereo amplifiers. The manufacturers sometimes put some overated numbers on there products (Sony Xploids are a good example). The only way to tell for sure is to put it on a meter and a dummy load since no two are ever alike. Even if they're identical models. My guess would be around 150 rms with maybe a 200 peak.

6. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Put it on a amp meter and find out for sure. volts x amps = watts Say you're running at 13.4volts and key up at 20 amps this would be 268 watts. To get swing reading do same except talk into mic or whistle and use that amp reading.

7. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

only problem with that little formula is you're missing the efficiency of the design. A clean amp normally only puts out about 50% of the power it consumes and a dirty amp will only put out about 70% at best. Then you also have to find the ACTUAL voltage at the amp because it is rarely 13+ volts due to voltage drop under load.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Just put a set of tripple meters on it. Then you can see your SWR/RF Power/Mod.