Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

link suspension

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lizard, May 12, 2002.

1. lizard

lizard 1/2 ton status

I have a 1972 Jimmy with D44HD / 14FF with some really nasty-stiff leaf springs and am looking to convert to a long travel coil over suspension for a better ride and more flex. Since the rear end should be much easier I have decided to tackle the front first and once I get that right I will probably switch to a D60 and 3-link in the back to save some weight. All the suspension design info I have found is for roundy round and azzfault racing but I'm not having much luck on the big travel coil over stuff.

So far I figure I want to use a lower control arm length that is close to the length of the driveshaft so I dont get too much slip joint movement. From there I guess I should try to get the geometry so the caster doesn't move to much through the majority of the suspension travel... at the same time I want to keep the pinion pointed at the CV joint. There has to be a balance/compromise in there somewhere.

I'm on the east coast and there aren't lots of guys doing this type of work that I can ask. Anyone have some suggestions and / or links to sites that deal with this stuff?? I am experienced welder and fabrication is no problem but I'd like to get it as close to correct as possible for a first timer :-)

Any help you guys can provide is much appreciated!

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

3. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

4. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

5. lizard

lizard 1/2 ton status

hey thanks for the links!