Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Linkin Lock vs Detroit... Pros and Cons of each

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigredblzr, Sep 29, 2003.

1. bigredblzr

bigredblzr 1/2 ton status

First off, sorry, I know that this has been posted about probably a thousand times, but I couldn't find anything directly regarding this issue. Now, the first obvious difference between the two lockers is the cost. Besides that and the tire wear (doesn't apply to me) what are some other pros and cons? Oh yeah, this is for a 14bff.
    Thanks,
    Nate

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

well what do you plan to do with the vehicle? trails only? or will you drive it on the street? i noticed you said tire wear doesnt matter so im guessing its a trail rig..why not just lincoln lock it...but you might like a detroit when you're on a REAL tight trail and need to turn..

3. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

If your not worried about the tire wear id weld it. Mine is welded and other then tight turns to lock on pavement i hardly notice it. What size tire are you running? Mine has held up to 40's for over a year now with no problems.

4. bigredblzr

No, it's not just a trail rig, but I'm gonna run Hummer tires on it which are the cheapest tires for their size. They're like 4 for $100.

5. bigredblzr

Any other advice?

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I recently replaced my welded spiders with a detroit. If you're doing any amount of street driving especially with those hummers, you'll want a detroit. I had tires with a lot of contact patch (mickey t's) and chirped them around every corner. It put extra stress on my rear leaf springs, cracking them over time. It binds up your driveline and it hard on everything on dry pavement. Hummers have enough tread on the ground that I wouldn't do it unless I was absolutely broke and had to have rear traction. And then, with the thought that I'd add a detroit later on. Don't let these TSL boys fool you with their huge lug voids...yeah they didn't notice it that much cause they didn't have as much tire on the ground. I can guarantee you that I did and my detroit was worth every dollar spent!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I ran welded for 2 years, now have a Detroit. Detroit is worth every cent IMHO. The welded diff is great as long as you don't see much city driving, then again even just pulling into my driveway scrubbed the hell out of the tires and you could really feel the bind in the drivetrain. After a bit of time I got used to it...

Then I got the Detroit and realized how much stress the welded diff does put on the truck.

For trail only I don't have a problem with welded.

Rene

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have run a 12 bolt weleded(all the spiders welded to eachother with no play) and also have ran a 12 bolt with a Detroit. Both rearends were in a K5 and both were run witht he same size and style tires. I liked the welded on the street better because it was always locked and there were no suprizes. The Detroit is a little quirky. I never had any tire screech out of the welded diff and also no binding. Almost couldn't tell it was back there on the street, but on the trail it was very noticeable with both tires grabbin. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. bigredblzr

laketex and tRustyK5, what axles were you guys running?

10. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

If you have to drive in the snow on the street then definately not a linkin locker, or a Detroit unless you are very experienced with them in snowy and icy conditions. Another thing to consider if you are going down this road is a spool it is pretty cheap too and you won't need to worry about welds breaking and crapping up your gears either.

I would go for the detroit myself with these choices.

Tim

11. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I'm running a 14B FF and I believe Rene is as well..

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yup, also running the big Kahuna (14 FF)

Rene

13. bigredblzr

thc777, what is the gain of a spool over a locker (specifically Detriot) and where can I get it for cheap?

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

No gain. A spool is just like welding your rear, only more expensive and typically stronger.

15. bigredblzr

So is there any benefit on the road with a spool?

16. benny

benny Registered Member

benefit of spool on the street is PREDICTABILITY.. i hate detroits for the locking and unlocking and unexpectedly telling me to change lanes.. i always know what a spool/welded diff will do.. and detroits can sometimes have a nasty habit of eating themselves under shock loads such as when an axle shaft breaks and i really i don't like this (especially with such a $$ locker).. i prefer spools over detroits because of the predictability and strength.. i prefer lockright over detroit because of the price.. i'd really like to be able to afford an arb because it's the best of both worlds.. open diffs sometimes actually come in handy on the trail.. don't worry about turning either.. nobody gives you points for backing up on a trail ride.. and twin sticking your 205 will help you cut corners too.. =]

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I drive a locked rig every day and have yet to experience a locker induced lane change.

18. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

Where are you going to find a spool for a 14FF?

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

they make a mini spool

20. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

i welded mine but i wish i went detroit..it got really annoying driving in the city that my 2 cents