Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Links and input on 383s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Fubeca, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Well I did a search, but not much has been said in the last 9 weeks. I am looking for information on good 383 kits and how to modify the stock TBI system ('91 k5) to handle fuel delivery needs. I am also interested to know what kind of gas mileage to expect. Any links or info would be great /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. sandy78

sandy78 Registered Member

John Lingenfelter has a pretty good book on SBC which should help you a lot. I used an outfit called Speedomotive for my rotating assembly and was happy with their work. You can also get rotating assemblies from Summit or Scoggin-Dickey and many others. The big thing is to choose a piston that gives you a compression ratio you can live with. You will also need some machine work. If you are going to invest in the project, I would recommend align-honing the mains, bore and hone the cylinders, and deck the block. You will also want to consider the induction side -- manifold, heads, etc. I don't know much about that in relation to the TBI, but the above mentioned book may help get you started. Mileage will probably drop a little if you don't go to wild or change your driving habits. Anyway, if you have component/mechanical questions, let me know. Good luck.

3. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

Remember to do your grinding/clearancing BEFORE you balance! Also, purchase a small base circle cam so there will not likely be rod to cam interference.

4. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Well I did a search, but not much has been said in the last 9 weeks. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    If you want to do another search, click on the blank space on the drop down and you can go back a year or four! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I think Steve was tweakin' something at the time because there wasn't a drop down box when I was trying to search -- just weeks no other option.

6. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Mark, I can help you on the technical side of building a 383, clearancing, etc. I did not use a kit to build my 388. None of them had the exact components that I wanted. If you want to know what components are in mine, I can send you an Excel file listing them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I don't have any experience modifying FI....but I wish I did. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. BlackDog714

BlackDog714 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Mark, I can help you on the technical side of building a 383, clearancing, etc. I did not use a kit to build my 388. None of them had the exact components that I wanted. If you want to know what components are in mine, I can send you an Excel file listing them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I don't have any experience modifying FI....but I wish I did. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I get a copy of the Excel file??? Please send it to Blackdog714@ar15.com. Thank you!

8. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Ben,
    I figured you would know about that end. I'll have to do some research on the injection stuff. I am hoping my current 5.7 will last at least 10,000 more miles so this will be a project I start after I move out to MN. I'd like to see your spreadsheet -- mark@dfcanyon.com .
    Thanks

9. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Mark & Joshua......e-mails sent. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

11. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    may i get a copy as well please.
    thanks
    Bournegw@yuma.usmc.mil
    Grant

[/ QUOTE ]

Sent! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

go ahead and add me too. I have an idea I think but I am sure you have more experience
    clyons@d11.uscg.mil

13. cj7jeep81

cj7jeep81 1/2 ton status

14. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Ben,
    Let me know, if you want I can make the spreadsheet available online and post a link so you don't have to work so hard. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    You seem to have developed some interest. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Christopher and cj7.....e-mails sent! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ben,
    Let me know, if you want I can make the spreadsheet available online and post a link so you don't have to work so hard. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    You seem to have developed some interest. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds fine to me, Mark. Go for it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

For the TBI.Talk to Turbo city.I think the guy's name you need to talk to is Tom Miller. He built a 383/vortec using a 454 TB. They have all the stuff you need including the custom chip. Talk to them first before you build the engine.
    They can help you with cam choice, Compression ratio, ect,
    You are more limited in choices with TBI than a carb.

18. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Anyone who wants Ben's well done excel spreadsheet just download it here.
    Spreadsheet