Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

links or info on ORD green blazer susp

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by m j, Jan 10, 2002.

1. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

is it front 4 or 3 link?
    images would be great.
    I found the grem??? wheelin pics and could see 1 side

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

m j,

You've got a good point....for such a 'famous' vehicle, it sure isn't that easy to find pics of it....especially the detailed stuff.

I know that GoKarterGo (Dan) posted some interior pics a while back, and I know he was at the TTC in Hollister, so he may have gotten more pics too. It might be worth asking him directly if he doesn't jump in on this thread.

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

3. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

its all top secret stuff..........

there area few pics actually on <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a> click the thing that says top truck pics etc. another place to look would be in the top truck issue of fourwheeler magazine. I do believe they shot a few good pics. also, Maybe you could just ask Stephen himself. He's bound to have more pics than we are, being as it is HIS truck.

BTW, its a 4 link.

-matt
    <font color=purple> "Stuff's only good for 2 things, degreasing engines and killing brain cells"</font color=purple>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/shaggyk5>www.geocities.com/shaggyk5</a>

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

All depends on how you count your links.
    (I'm pretty sure)
    It's a 3-trailing link suspension with a track-bar (4-links total)
    2 trailing links on the drivers side, one on the passanger side.

Why is that animal so camra shy?

<font color=white>.</font color=white>Eric
    <font color=white>.</font color=white>Twizted

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

i never count the panhard.
    thanks for that i thought thats what it was.
    donovan was saying that config cant work and i was sure that the greenie was runnin it but couldnt find proof.
    now donovan may be just argueing that the single bar has to be the top bar but who knows

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I never count the panhard bar either (trac-bar). I'd like it if someone would come up with a wheelers dictionary, so we can all relate..

Donovans up-to-speed on suspension sys. I think he is refering to the Ford C-bushing style. But at the same time. I can see how a 4-link will "try" to twist the axle in differnt directions when articulated. So, somthing has to be done to eliminate the twisting force. And Stephan chose to eliminate one of the links.

The single upper link would have to be very stong, to deal with the brakeing forces, but would allow the axle to move freely, without binding.

<font color=white>.</font color=white>Eric
    <font color=white>.</font color=white>Twizted

7. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

I didn't say that it will not work. I said I didn't like it because of the stress on the single bottom link and the torque steer that you might get with it. Steven setup is the way I would build it. The major braking force is being put onto the bottom 2 links. Steve Frisbe runs a setup close to Realsquash setup but the bottom link is centered. Here is the thread that M_J was talking about. www.rustbucket.rockcrawler.com
    Got Leafs??

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

hard to understand what you think is going to cause the torque steer.
    the off centre link or the lower being the single?
    I dont think either will be a problem but I am trying to understand your point to see if I am missing something.

wanna talk here or back in POR or not at all whatever you want?

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

9. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Under braking you have a great force tring to twist the pinion upwards and because his top link is 6 or 8" above the axle centerline the torque is multiplied by some factor. Now think about this while braking the right side of the axle is tring to rotate the pinion upwards but it can't because there is the bottom link that is stopping it. The bottom link is close to the right side tire. Lets say 15" away. Now at the same time the left tire is braking also and it is tring to rotate the pinion upwards also but the link stopping it is 45" away from the tire. Can you see the extra leverage now. The panhard also has something to do this it but I can't explain that to you. Like I said I think he should try it out and see what happens but I think it is going to have some handling issues.

Donovan
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.rustbucket.rockcrawler.com>www.rustbucket.rockcrawler.com</a>
    Got Leafs??

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the further the links are vertically seperated the better they can resist the axle torque.
    axle wrap is being controlled, where the links are located(left right or centre'd) will only really be effected by housing deflection. I dont think there will be enough housing deflection to cause strange torque steer.

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

11. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

I don't think that I will ever get thru to you what I am tring to say so I will leave you with this thought to ponder. Lets say you are drive down a road at 50 mph and a big a** truck pulls out in front of you. So you slam on the brakes and your left front tire is on dry pavement and the right front tire is on the loose grave from the side of the road. What do you think is going to happen?

Donovan
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.rustbucket.rockcrawler.com>www.rustbucket.rockcrawler.com</a>
    Got Leafs??