Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Links to US classifieds for truck bits

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AussieK5, Aug 25, 2005.

1. AussieK5

AussieK5 1/2 ton status

Can anyone give me a link to GOOD classifieds sites in the US for truck bits.....I've Google'd extensively but seem to pick up the more obscure regional papers/sites.

I'm chasing prices and locations on crewcabs (cab only) to cost out exporting downunder.

TIA

Jas

2. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have a couple of freinds with cabs hanging around their yards but they are not in the best shape I think the best thing to do is figure out how to ship it then ask the yahoos on here to start looking for one. I think with the scrounging ability of this group you could run a small country on nearly nothing :D :D

3. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

Check the cost of freight first. I'm currently being quoted UK£250-350 to ship just a transfer box. :crazy:

4. AussieK5

AussieK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah it can be steep.....a full car runs out to about $3500.

If I source a cab from the only early model (C & K) importer here its $3600 for the crew cab plus another $500 in misc costs! :doah:

5. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

Cheaper to import a whole vehicle and keep yours for a parts donor?

6. AussieK5

AussieK5 1/2 ton status

Prolly not ...the above cost is for a camaro, a whole crewcab would be much more I'm sure.

My other option is to grab another standard cab locally and chop it down to build an extended cab. :confused:

7. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

Aren't you paying the same cost for the container whether it has a camaro or a crewcab in it?
    The cut'n shut is more in the true fair dinkum spirit i reckon.

8. AussieK5

AussieK5 1/2 ton status

nah, just the container space through a aust based importer, you can fit 4 cars in a 40ft if you pack'em right....if I grab a whole 40ft container on my own its about 10-12k.

I dont mind the extra cab but its a load of panel work and hard to get away with without the added expenses of a eng certificate...but as we do down here (in keeping with the fair dink approach) it will shortly have a tray, decent roo bar, spotties that will boil the billy at 100yds and obligatory dog cage.

K5's must be as rare as rockin horse sh$t in the UK, how do you go with the narrow country roads?

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

k5 are rare here too out in cornfield lands of the states here, ive only seen three this year, and they are all 80s ones, zero first gens and ive only ever seen two in my life, and there may be one second gen somewhere, but i havent seen for a really long time, like a coupel or three years

not enough k5 were sold, and about 90% of them have been scrapped

shipping freight is high $$$$$$$ for sure

good luck with that, i feel for ya,

10. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

Yep, pretty rare but a few have been surplused by the USAF bases. Mine's a Blazer, more rare than pickups, but was imported privately i believe as it is in civvy form.
    I went to the big national american car festival and there were only 2 Blazers. I found 1 Blazer & 1 p/up also at later shows.

For the benefit of our readers perhaps you could elaborate, with pics, on the "tray", billy", "roo bars" & "spotties" ? Maybe pics of a kingswood ute or toymota would help.

The poms are pretty happy to reverse on the narrow country roads when they are faced with the options of 'my way or no way'.

I PM'd you earlier. did you get it?