Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Linux nerds

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BranndonC, Sep 21, 2006.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

I don't really care for windows much anymore, lots of problems. If I install linux can I use all of my windows programs or do I have to reinstall everything?
    Is linux 100% windows software compatable? Will the no name software I have work? Can I just install it over windows, or do I need a fresh install?

2. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

No.
    Yes.
    No.
    No.
    Kind of.

3. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

Get a Mac. The new ones (intel) will run all your programs.

4. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

5. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

you can switch to ubuntu or any Deb based linux system(really easy) then you can install Automatix and then automatix will install wine(program that emulates windows) Most windows programs run on it but they are a little slower then normal. Alot of the linux distros come with alot of the excess programs that you would have to buy if it were windows(office etc). I would stay away from any source based linux distros until you are familiar with it. The only thing I really use windows for is video editing, everything else I can do in Linux

6. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

Linux + openoffice.org should cover about 95% of what you need a PC to do.

for all the other crap you need winblows for, run XP in a virtual machine. VMWare probably the best & most feature rich. there are open source alternatives out now however.

If you're a gamer, look up www.cedega.com. i think they're renamed it recently to something else.

7. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

I have special real estate software that might need windows to run, that's why I'm asking

8. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

The VMWare app will allow you to run windows as if it were natively installed on physical hardware. it basically fakes out the OS and as far as it knows, it's on a peice of hardware when in reality it's virtual. Really slick peice of software. MS has something similar called VirtualPC.

That way, you get the benefits of your favorite linux distro for most of what you need but those pesky windows only apps can have an environment of their own. performance is pretty close to native unless you're trying to run something like autocad...