Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Linux Vs. Microsoft

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MudFrog, Dec 9, 2002.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

So what do you prefer and why?

My knowledge is strictly Microsoft except for installing Linux (redhat and mandrake) but I'm really getting fed up with Microsoft, not to mention everything is sooo freaking expensive. I think I'm gonna reinstall Mandrake 8.1 again tonight and go ahead and try to learn it.

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Is there an echo in here? I swear I was muttering the same thing to myself recently...
    My boss is the same way, rolls his eyes and mutters "f-in' Microsoft" whenever we come across something unusual or he asks me how to do something in Active Directory that he used to do in NDS...

I used to be strictly MS (certified engineer, etc.), but I've gotten pretty fed up, too (especially after playing with XP; first OS I've ever had to force myself to become familiar with, as opposed to learning it out of interest). I started dabbling in Mac's, but they're not that interesting to me for more than audio editing. I'm getting back into guitar recording and editing, so I've actually been on the lookout for a G4 Mac.

I have RedHat on my company laptop, but rarely get time to play with it. I've played with red hat, suse, and I loaded Yellow Dog on a mac when I was in the mac phase. So far the most I've done is mount a Fat32 volume on the command line, and browse the internet in the gui... I'm dying to get into it, though!

Did you hear about the version of linux someone ported to run on the Xbox? Nice slap at MS!!

How did you get into Mandrake? I've heard it's the easiest to learn linux on (I think I heard that here). I admit, I still don't quite understand what differentiates one flavor from another, if they're running linux under the covers...

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Sence I've never used Linux, and am used to Microsoft windows, ....well.

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I like Windows 2000 Pro - the only MS OS that I've every used that is stable.
    If linux has the software to back up the OS, then I'd be all over it. But I don't see GTA III and MOHAA for sale with the linux logo.
    -- Mike

5. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Linux is cool. Printing may not be as easy and hi-rez.

Also PC gaming is not quite there yet with Linux.

Mandrake 9 is out and I would suggest that over 8.1 at this point.

6. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Dave, I was just browsing the Mandrake site and noticed 9 was out as well. It looks good!

I'll still have an installation of XP for games and what not, however I heard you can run the games through winex?? I think that was the name of the program.

Ratch, I'm testing Mandrake because I have heard from many places that it is the easiest to use. I know last time I installed Mandrake on my system I couldn't find drivers for my sound card so I ended up scrapping it, hopefully 9 will have them.

7. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, wine and winex. Wine is free and winex is $5 membership - forgot the duration. You get to vote on game development with winex (what gets tweaked next).

ID software (Doom, Quake, Wolf) make native Linux releases also.

I have 8.1 on my home system (too lazy to upgrade) and 9 on my laptop.
    Home system has an ME install for gaming.