Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Liquid liners

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Christian Talley, Mar 30, 2000.

1. Christian Talley

Christian Talley Registered Member

About an hours drive southwest of Chicago, out in
    I Have friday off this weekend and was thinking of picking up some Herculiner and seeing if I could get the tub of my jimmy done this weekend. Any info on application, time needed, any tips would be greatly appreciated. If someone has done it already, maybe they could run me through the proccess. Thanks for any help guys.

2. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I haven't used Herculiner yet, but I did put Durabak liner in my Blazer. I'm gonna get herculiner later this spring or summer and put it on my top. Anyways, I do know you have to prep your blazer really good. Strip it till its bare. Get some xylene and apply it throughout the entire interior, or wherever you're gonna apply the herculiner. You can apply it the xylene with a paint brush. After its dry, sand the entire interior with a light grade sand paper. This will allow the Herculiner to bite into the paint better. Then clean it down again with xylene, same as before to get rid of any dust particle from the sanded paint. Now you are ready to apply the herculiner. Use the roller they gave you in the kit. Remember to wear gloves. That Sh*t is a B*tch to get off. Keep the xylene handy just in case applied it some where by accident. That's all I can think of for now. Good luck. Any more Q's on this subject matter, let me know.
    Boss

3. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

I've never used it myself, but my buddy did and he said that it worked best when he used multiple thin coats instead of trying to get it thick the first time. Just a possible hint.

Diesel
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is.[​IMG]

4. Boss

You're right. I forgot to mention that. Apply atleast two coats. Actually, that's all I did to mine.
    Boss

5. Christian Talley

Hey Boss, How long did yours take? I got a term paper to write this weekend, and I can't take up all of the time. Also whats the best way to do the back tailgate. Should I take the plate that allows you to get to the window mechanism out and do it seperately, or just try and tape around it so that I don't seal it shut.

6. Boss

Ok, It took me like 3 or 4 days. The hardest part is the prepping. That took forever, b/c the carpet that used to in the truck was glued to the bed. When I pulled the carpet out, there was glue gunk everywhere. That took forever to clean out. Also, depending how good the paint is on your floor, if its still good, then you don't have to worry about repainting it with primer. also, if you have any rust, you should sand it or scrub it really good with a wire brush and then convert it with rust converter. The actual applying of the bedliner only does not take long at all. Depending on the temperature of the day too. If you do it on a warm day, you could only wait about an hour or two after applying the first coat, to apply the second coat.
    Definately let it dry over night before you put stuff back into your truck. So basically, if prepping is not much for you, you could do it in a weekend. Hit the books between dry time. Good luck
    Boss

7. I did my cap in Herculiner and it didn't take long at all. Make shure you have the recomended cleaner(ascetone). The instructions say not to use any type of alochol based or mineral spirit cleaner because it wont let the polyurathane? set up. Also, like everyone said, do it in at least two light coats and after you're finished with your last coat, Remove any tape or anything that is in contact with the Herculiner cause it won't come off when its dry.
    good luck.
    <font color=red>ABO</font color=red>

8. Christian Talley

Hey Boss, the paint inside is still descent, but in spots it is flaking off. Do I need to scrape all of this off and use primer throughout the whole interior before lining, or will the lining take care of it? Thanks again.

9. Boss

yeah, I would suggest that. If paint is flaking, then the liner will stick to that paint. Over time, the liner will just flake off with that paint if you step on it hard or something like that.
    Boss