Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Liquid Lustre... did I get took?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Oct 15, 2005.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I fell into the corny salseman trap at the state fair today.. The guy was doing some demos with a miracle cleaner/coating/wax called Liquid Lustre. I thought maybe it would ressurect the burb's old paint job... So has anyone had experience with this stuff? am I just gullible? :p:

2. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

Probably. I swear anytime people demonstrate things at swap meets and such, they have some super-powered-way-better-unit-than-you'll-ever-get version.

I saw a guy at english town swap meet with these tile cutters, they worked awesome. So my brother in-law bought a set at $25 or so and they don't work at all. The guy showing them off was doing some fantastic work.

I don't know how they do it, but it's easy to get fooled when you see the "super-version" being used, and you get stuck with junk.

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The sales guy's usually aren't using a different producr, just different "test subjects" Like very light (dry/sandy) tile. You can sculpt that stuff with a pencil. Or some super un-ripe barely red tomatoe that a hack saw would be able to cut. Then there is the stail bread for the knives, the frozen celery, and more (interviewed for a job as a knife guy -> too many gimics). Chances are that what ever he polished was already cleaned with a superior product and he just cleaned up some hand made mess.

4. 78Suburban

well, I get my money back supposedly if I don't like it, so we'll see... thinking about it now, it was a waste of ten bucks since the burb is a mud truck, oh well, maybe I'll use it on the DD.. :doah:

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I fell for them too...

I have bought a few things at swap meets that didn't live up to the claims made for them too..dont feel bad!..its easy to get suckered in at those places..I go to,and sold stuff at a lot of them in the past..you do get some awesome deals at them too..just have to know what your looking for,how much its worth,and what defects to look for in parts you want.

One was a guy using this "miracle" aluminum repair welding rod..he punched holes in coke cans,and filled them right in with only a propane torch!--then he does an A/C codenser,a heater core,broken carb bases,even punched holes in an aluminum canoe,and the stuff worked tits--his wife or girlfriend even did the same demonstration---I figured if even she could do it,I could-..until I bought some,and took it home and tried it!

I don't know what their secret was,but it sure worked slick when they demonstrated it!--I could only succeed in filling in holes in beer cans,anything else I tried to "weld" with it was a dismal failure!--only once did I succeed in repaing a cracked block on a briggs and stratton mower engine with it..every other time,it would roll off and fall on the floor.It just wont do "vertical" welds.I think maybe the "stainless steel brush" he used was the secret..I only had plain steel brushes!--

I even bought some "Rub-On" aluminum welding rod at the welding supply place I get my tanks filled at,its the same stuff!--I got 5 lbs for 11 bucks,it was 12 bucks at the swap meet for about 10 sticks of it! :mad: --didn't work any better though--it must take some practice or special technique to use it..I have seen "infomercials" on late night tv selling similar stuff,and also in the Northern Tool catolog..I wont be buying any more!--I'll save my money to have someone tig or mig weld it instead..I was hoping I could fix broken "ears" on die cast zinc carbs like they did..never succeeded.. :mad:

Another time I bought theese "miracle" drill bits at a local flea market held every sunday--I saw the guy there several weeks,I figured if he was a crook,he'd be evicted by then--..the guy drilled thru a file,a cinder block,leaf springs,even hardened steel plate,like butter!--so I figured I'd try a set...35 bucks "today only"...

So I get them home,stick one in the drill press,and try it on a peice of diamond plate..it went right thru,just like it did for him--the first few holes anyway!..after 5 holes,it was dull as a hoe!..
    Then I read on the label on the box "NOTE: NOT FOR MILD STEEL!!--USE ON HARDENED STEEL OR MASONARY ONLY!" then in teeny letter "warranty void if used on mild steel or non ferrous metals"...I was going to cram them up the guys A$$ the following sunday..but of course I never saw him again.. :angry1: :angry1:

6. bridgeguy

bridgeguy Registered Member

I'm assuming (yeah, I know what happens when you assume) that you're talking about Nathan's Original Liquid Lustre (at least that's what I think the whole title was). It should be some pink stuff?? If so, I started using it back in the 80's after buying some at a Super Chevy Show in Sears Point.

Went through quarts of that stuff and loved it. Worked almost as well as Rain-X on the windows and actually did make it easier to remove bugs and such. If it's on the bottle, could you post the contact information as I haven't been able to find it for years?

7. 78Suburban

thats the stuff. I think it normally costs like 25 bucks a bottle, but they were doing 2 for 20 bucks.. I talked him into 1 for 10 bucks..

to order it call: 1-866-458-7873

I have the mailing address if you want it as well.