Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

List of things to check when buying...

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by jpaitala, Sep 26, 2003.

1. jpaitala

jpaitala Registered Member

I thought I would better post this here, as I originally posted this on the Blazer/Suburban section...

I'm thinking of buying either one of these but would like to know what to look for before making decision.

-1993 Chevrolet Silverado Dually 6.5TD 4*4 ?? Odometer says 150 000.

-1997 Chevrolet Suburban6.5TD 4*4?? Odometer says 189 000.

What to look on these vehicles??

Thanks.

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The 93 will have a mech fuel injection system and a computer controlling the 4L80E, good choice. Look for the standard stuff, check all fluids, reciepts, maint records, starts and runs and drives good, no unusual noises , ask for a cylinder compression check. Look for a cylinder thats significantly lower than the others. None should be under 300.

The 97 is an electronically controlled injection pump/engine. More prone to failure, already past the extended warranty. But ...it is a Suburban. They can be good performers and reliable if you take care of the bugs. Same stuff to check except you are also interested in the electronic injection pump , has it been replaced under warranty, any computer codes present?? have it scanned, etc.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The 93 will have a mech fuel injection system and a computer controlling the 4L80E, good choice. Look for the standard stuff, check all fluids, reciepts, maint records, starts and runs and drives good, no unusual noises , ask for a cylinder compression check. Look for a cylinder thats significantly lower than the others. None should be under 300.

The 97 is an electronically controlled injection pump/engine. More prone to failure, already past the extended warranty. But ...it is a Suburban. They can be good performers and reliable if you take care of the bugs. Same stuff to check except you are also interested in the electronic injection pump , has it been replaced under warranty, any computer codes present?? have it scanned, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the newer one has more mileage, would probably be more prone to failiures (electronics) , but it's a suburban.
    You check the obvious stuff, after all it's a truck, the diesel part is what azblazor mentionned which isn't much to check.
    Good luck.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Hey Rene, it might be a good idea to make a sticky post about the different things to look for for when it comes to buying a diesel. Seems a lot of people come on here asking this question. I'm sure we could cover all the major things in one thread pretty easily. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. jpaitala

jpaitala Registered Member

A sticky topic would be a good idea...
    Most of the people who are looking for a diesel truck etc. have no experience with diesel engines. I myself have completely no experience with diesel engines so nothing is obvious to me. I can easily inspect every other ares of the truck(driveline, body etc etc.) but can't really say whether the engine is fine or not.