Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

little advice on my 14bff

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mightywhitey_k5, Feb 22, 2005.

1. mightywhitey_k5

mightywhitey_k5 Registered Member

Man i F'ed up this time. Before i had a clue as to what i was doing i removed the main caps on my 14bff, now i have no clue as to which on is r from l not to mention top from bottom. any one out there mess this up as bad as i did and found a way to put humpty dumpty back together again :confused:

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

look at the housing where the caps sit and you will see the marking of where they sat, you just have to look at them carefully and see where each mark is compared to the cap, if all else fails you will have to get a dial indicator and make sure every thing is good.
    What were you doing that you had to take the caps off?? lockers? gears??

3. mightywhitey_k5

ya thanks thats what i figured i would need to do. and to answer your Q: both 4.88 gears and still havent decided on what type of locker i am going to go with but i am pretty sure it will be dertoit.

4. mightywhitey_k5

i just noticed u went with 4.88 how do u like them with your 35"s. i will be running 38" i have read that they will still give me plenty of tork and power. are u running a locker in the 14b and did u instal them your self.

5. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

yup got 4.88's with 35's, I like it with the OD tranny, plenty of git up and go, and I installed it all my self.

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Heres how you check left from right. Put the cap on and FEEL the inside where it mates the housing, and see if its smooth or not. Youll be able to tell, if it isnt smooth then try the other cap, if it is smooth, then thats where it goes. Does that make sense?

Here how they should look.
    [​IMG]

7. mightywhitey_k5

ya perfect cence thanks.