Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

little advice please...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MountainMan, Aug 4, 2003.

1. MountainMan

MountainMan Registered Member

K so i live in Denver, and on hot days my blazer starts dying on me, like its loosing gas or something. If i play with the gas just right it wont die, but sometimes it does, and i gotta pull over and start it again, and of course be really gentile on the gas to get home. I have not noticed this in mornings when it a bit cooler.

i have done the following on it:
    distributor cap
    plugs and wires
    air filter
    fuel filter
    richened up the carb just a bit

had the shop check my fuel pump, they said it seemed ok and they adjusted the carb a bit to try an see if it helps, it didnt... so, i talked to the guy at the shop again and he had 2 other ideas, some coil in the distributor? or replace the mechanical fuel pump with an electric one. he was saying the altitued and heat can create vapor lock issues sometimes, he also mentioned airated-gas? is that just in denver, or is all gas like that???

thanks blazerites!

86 SILVERADO - 350, 130Kmiles /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

he was probably referring to your ignition coil...how old is it? if you dont know, replace it...

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Sounds like it's vapor locking. I had that problem with my first K5. I put a electric fuel pump in line just after the tank. Only needed to turn it on when it started to vapor lock. (This was on a 72 K5 with 454 and a mechanical fuel pump)

4. MountainMan

MountainMan Registered Member

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Sounds like your distributor module is going bad. Its the little black box in your dist. You can pull it out and have it tested. Most auto parts stores like Napa will test them for free.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks folks!

One other question, anyone got any opinions on Ryan Engine Exchange?
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif
    http://www.ryanengineexchange.com/

[/ QUOTE ] I'm not falimure with Ryan Engine Exchange, but I think I'd go with a GM crate motor strait from the dealership for the better warranty. Plus through GM, You can get a 383-HT or 502-HT. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif