Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

LIttle Airbox Thing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MICHIGAN BLAZER, Mar 17, 2000.

1. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

well, i was checking all my fluids & what not getting ready to go wheelin' up north tomorrow. i checked my front diff fluid and it was kinda uncky...so i checked to see how my breather was doin'. i never bothered to trace it to see where it ended up before...i just knew it went up...good enough for me. Any way the end of the line goes into this round air box thing. It's on the drivers side very front corner and it has another hose going into it too....didn't bother to figure out where that one came from. it's marked "air cleaner"....why does my f ront diff breather go to this box and what is it really for...and how do i open it. thanx

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

2. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I may be mistaken but I think you are talking about the charcoal cannister ," which is used to store fuel vapors from the tank,and carb bowl for burning at a later time"(chiltons) When the engone reaches 120 degrees F and off idle a purge valve allows the vapors to be released into the intake for burning.
    Now on my 86K5 the vent hose from the front Diff. does go to a clamp just above the cannister and it has a check valve in the end of it, in that it allows pressure to change in the diff but will not allow say water into the valve therby getting into the diff. I would suggest at some time past the valge went away and for lack of a better place it was installed on the aux intake to the cannister.
    Info can be found chapter 4 emmissions in the chiltons manual for fullsize chevy trucks 80-87

<font color=green>Eagle86K5[​IMG]

<font color=red>Only guy I know that can get out of line in a one car funeral

3. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

MB while you're playing with the breather lines lengthen them and move up higher on the body, keeps the water out...WK