Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Little Chrome panels in front of the rear wheel wells, factory or not?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AJMBLAZER, May 25, 2002.

1. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

I've seen these things around before. They are the little ones that are down at the very bottom where the rocker panel and front of the rear wheel well meet. I'm not talking about the chrome panels that go the entire length of the truck on the rocker panels, just these little chrome scalop thingies.

Are they factory?

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Could go either way I supose. Over in that links post in the second gen board there is a link to a slosh site that has all the dealer sales brochures up. If it was a factory offering then it might be visible in those.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Those are the rock guards. The protect the corners of the fenders down there for flying rocks, dirt, etc. to prevent chipping the paint.

If you have ever noticed some trucks without them, they will have some paint chipped away down there. These guards prevent this.

On the '81-'87 trucks, and up to '91 Blazer and Sub, you will notice they use a clear plastic tape on type of chip guard. Same effect as the chrome ones you are talking about, but just clear so the paint shows thru for the color scheme.

4. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I had some years ago...they were stainless aftermarket parts...I liked 'em. I just checked JC Whitney and LMC...no luck.

5. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

The one thing that I have found while taking all these panels off- is that EVERY piece of trim on these things is a "cancer causer"...every one of them...they are not sealed around the edges so water, dirt, road salt etc.. get behind them. Mine have come off- along with most of the trim. When it gets painted, the rest of the middle of the truck plastic stuff comes off as well. For the rocker panels, and fender protection, I am going to use that paint stuff...looks like sand is in the paint...hard to describe... Hotstuff (Jim)..has it on his K5, and it looks pretty cool, and seems to stand up to rock chips etc..

Brandy

6. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Those deals are not factory. After market for sure...
    Jim