Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Little Dog suggestions, and grooming ???s

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Sep 17, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

My mom is allergic to dogs, and we are thinking about a new one. Our present dog will be put down very soon, she is a good dog but large and sheds a lot. We are moving to our new house soon and want a nice little(mom wants toy sized) dog that could be our first indoor one. We are dog people much more than cat people so this is what we want.

So does anyone have some suggestions on good breeds?

Also, a lot of the terriers and other little breeds seem to have lots of hair, yet they say they are good for allergy sufferers. My thought is, would it be bad to shave a dog all the time? I mean take it to a groomer and have the hair shaved very short. It would be an indoor dog so I don't think climate would be an issue for it other then when we let it out to do its business in winter.

A pug is exactly what I want, but it sheds and isn't good for an allergy sufferer and that is the big issue here.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

comon miss conception is the hair is what we think we have alergy problems with. but in truth its the skin ceals when thay flake off the body of the animal. good luck on the new dog. and please for gods sake train the thing so its not one of those dam yappy dog sh!#s. thanks.

p.s. is the only reason to put down other dog for the reasons listed? dont sound fair to me.

3. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

pugs shed bad and are hard to breed. :doah: But not what you said you were after. A poodle or poodle mix will be alright. For sheding or allergy reasons. Some of the little jack russsles or min. pins do shed not that this is as much allergy as house keeping. A peekenese being one of my favorite or a spanil shed bad. But mix with the poodle do not much if at all and are ussually healther. If you stay in the minature rangne instead of the toy there will be less health problems. The smaller ones 7 or less pounds can go out side to take a leak and get a cold. Try and look at minature poodle mixes where the parents are 7lbs and up to no more than what you want for a house dog. Look to see that the gums of what ever pup you look at has nice pink gums white is a sign of being wormy. Look at ckc.com for some more ideas on different mix breeds that akc don't reconize but make great pets. A yorkie-poo might be anther good terrer looking dog. just look around and ask some more questions if you need too. Take your time and find what you want most of all.

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I don't think thats why their puting the dog down, just what they don't want to deal with in the future for an inside dog. :p:
    I wouldn't go with a Chahuahua they never seem to be able to be fuly potty trained, ask me how I know? I think any super small breeds like that are going to have simaler problems, I'd try to find a medium sized "MUTT" that has short hair, I'd stay away from pure breds of any kind if it were me....There all freakin retarded... :laugh:

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

We were looking at a breed listing site and found one of interest. The "Yorkipoo". Yorkshire terrier and poodle mix. Little dog, curly short hair(not a fan of curly hair myself, thus the shaving question), and all around what my mom wants.

Yes the reasons listed are what we do not want in the future(well what my mom doesn't want, I'd rather get a Boxer or that sized dog).

Rocket is going to be put down for a host of reasons. Chiefly, she doesn't eat anymore. She eats maybe 1/4 of a cup of food(where she used to eat a whole cup and look for more. If you throw her table scraps, she sniffs them for a while before she eats them. She used to snatch them out of the air. She has lost I'd say a good 30 lbs over the last 9 months. She has always been overweight, she is going towards underweight now. Her back hips are about shot. When she has to step up and over anything(even a 2x4), her legs give out. Its a sad state, and we simply don't want to make her go through another winter(again she is an outdoor dog).

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

My sister has a Bichon Frisse - [​IMG] which seems to be the perfect indor chick dog. (no offense) It does not shed, eats very little, weighs less than a house cat and was easy to train. It is also very friendly and quiet.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah I don't care a whole lot what we get, I don't like poofy curly haired dogs myself though. Either way I'm getting a new hedgehog and that is what matters to me.

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I actually like her dog, it fetches and does tricks. It is also very well behaved and will sit beside you on the couch without being in your face. I can't say any of that for my labs (well, they will fetch) and they shed all of the time.

9. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

The yorkipoo will be a nice house dog just like a maltipoo and have very little chance of shedding. But look at the litter careful cause you never know if in a few months there hair don't become a huge afro. :eek1:

10. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I dunno about dog grooming,,,,,, :D

but i put the cat in the shower with the doors closed this morning, :D

she needed a bath :D :haha:

11. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

So your saying you washed your pussy and didn't take pics???Booooo.... :D

12. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I hate those dogs. But they are Hypo-Alegenic (sp?) and a good dog for people with alergies.

13. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Ya had to reach for that one :D

14. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

It was closer than my drink at the time.... :doah: :D