Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Little help here.... installing rear springs, shims ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tori89k5, Dec 15, 2002.

1. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

alright..... need a quick opinion here.... Im in the back yard right now installing my new 4" TC springs and ORD zero-rates. I wanna put in a 2.5 degree shim, but it doesnt allow much spring pin to fit into the spring perch. Is anyone else using shims with no problmes like this ? Quick help... my lunch is almost ready.. and im ready to get back to work before it rains. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

You can buy center pin washers that are designed to give you a little more depth into the perch hole, they are the same size as the pin head. Hope this helps.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The spring shop where I get my U-bolts and center pins and junk sells spacer washers that are the same dimension as the head of the center bolt to use if you're using shims. They just ensure the center bolt head makes it far enough into the perch hole. IIRC they were about 20 cents a piece...

Rene

4. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys for the help..... stange as it is... i dont think ive ever seen these little bastards disscussed here on CK5.

I hate when a job gets held up over a 20 cent part /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Thanks for quick reply.... no im off to make some /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Thanks Rene /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Hey guess what... its 58 degrees here /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

There are two different kinds of shims available. There is the kind like you have where you just put the shim between the spring and the differential, then there is another type of shim that I would recommend using which installs between the spring pack and the center pin just like a zero-rate does. I would not trust the type shims that you have for as far as I could throw them. I know you are out trying to do this right now but I would suggest waiting and going to a spring shop and get the shims they use that attach to the spring pack like the aftermarket spring company's use.

7. tRustyK5

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Hey guess what... its 58 degrees here

[/ QUOTE ]

It's about 53 here... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif T-shirt weather! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

8. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

okay.... your gonna love this fix ! Went back out to the shop to find something i could use as a spacer... then *BLING* a light bulb goes off.... thread a nut down the pin and shave the edges off. Better than a washer if you ask me /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Just had to share this with the CK5 Family. took all of about 45 seconds to do. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    [​IMG]

9. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Hey Scott, thanks for the additional idea. I like the sound of that shim too. What would keep me from putting this type of shim in-between the zero-rate and the springpak ?

10. tRustyK5

Good fix Tori. With any luck the center bolt head won't bottom in the perch... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

11. 4X4HIGH

You should be able to install the shim along with the zero-rate. I would however install the shim at the bottom since the zero-rate is flat and the shim is tapered. I believe that ORD is going to make or already has tapered zero-rates for sale. Just an after thought. I know you already have your zero-rates. There have been a number of people asking about this same thing.

12. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Why not install the shim between the bottom of the leaf pack and the top of the zero-rate? This way you will still have plenty of pin stick out on the bottom of the block.

I did this method on some 8" front and rear springs I had. Just took 2.5 degree shims and sandwiched them between the spring and zero-rate. Worked fine with no problems.

13. 4X4HIGH

The problem with doing it that way is that it puts a bind on the center pin. If you look at the type shim we are talking about, the area where the center-pin bolt head seats is 90 degrees to the shank of the bolt. If you install the shim between the spring and the zero-rate then the zero-rate will be at the 2.5 degree angle and there is not a 90 degree seat for the center-pin bolt head to seat against so it will put a small bind on the bolt and undue stress.