Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Little things we take for granted........

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Can Can, May 15, 2005.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

........are all around us.

I was driving home from my rec property tonight, enjoying the fact that this time of year the sun doesn't set until about 9:30 PM. By the middle of June, the sky isn't dark until 11:00 PM and the sun starts coming up by about 4:30 AM. Conversely, in the dead of winter, we get no more than 7 hours of daylight.....:mad:

I remember reading that at the Equator, they have 12 hours of daylight and 12 hours of night. What time does the sun set around your neck of the woods???

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I live in MN so our daylight hours vary almost as much as yours.

3. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I guess it starts getting dark about 9:00ish... at this time of year.

That's pretty interesting about your daylight times etc. It seems really foreign to me, who's always lived here in TX. I know about the cycles up that way... guess it just seems weird to me that it's just "normal" for those there.

7 hours of daylight in the winter.. wow. Man, if it didn't get dark until 11pm here.. I'd have a hard time getting the kiddos to bed.. :grin: besides the fact that I too would probably be outside doing stuff until then. But, there, I would imagine the snow puts a damper on that real quick.

I think I'll stick with my schedule. :wink:

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

... like people who used to call a lot, and then started not too, yet used to feel like bugging you at work.....

:)

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Hectic Time is over. My regular schedule will resume shortly. And I don't have a cigar otherwise I'd call right now.........:(

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Growing up in edmonton my mom used to pin up heavy blankets over our bedroom windows. By June it's be well past 11 pm before it was truly dark, even though sunset was about an hour or so earlier.

Here sunset on june 15th is around 9:40 pm (don't quote me on that...) and true dark is around 10:30 or so.

I'm sure the Alaska guys will be posting up...it doesn't get much more extreme than that.

rene

7. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

6-7am it gets light out and about 9 it gets dark out. GA I hated being on 12 hour shifts (daytime) in the winter because it is dark when you go to and from work. Only time to do things outside is on days off.

8. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I'm a little south of you and mine is simliar to what you mentioned. 10:30 or so in the end of june (~9 or so now), upagain at 5 or just before.

In the dead of winter, the sun is on the horizon in the morning around 8:30 and on the other horizon again around 3:30 with darkness not far behind.

In the winter here and everyelse north, this is true even with an 8-5 job.

9. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

right now the sun comes up a little after 6 and sets about 1/4 till 9. but the days are getting longer. :grin:

10. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

not sure, but I think around 5:45-6 am sunrises and 8 pm ?????? I'm in bed when it comes up and working inside when it goes down.

11. akbound

akbound 1/2 ton status

After living in Alaska and growing up in Wisconsin, that is one of the things that drove me nuts about Hawaii. ~12 hours of daylight every day of the year. "Winter" was all of about 5 degrees colder than "Summer." I NEED four seasons.