Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Living in Colorado, how do you like it?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Jan 11, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Just what the title says. how about as far as cost of living in the Colorado Springs, Denver area? I was looking through the Wyotech Employers Database and spotted a few big name shops(in offroading) out that way. Not that I really think for a second any of them would hire me at 20 years old and just Wyotech and a love of the sport under my belt but its worth a try. Not much of a market in the field here in PA, I could maybe get a job fabbing race cars but what I really want to do of course is offroad work. becoming a mechanic might be pretty difficult, seeing as I'm on High Risk Insurance for the next 3 years.

2. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I live on the west side of the mountains about 5 hours drive from Denver. Everyone I talk to that visits from Denver area wishes they could move away from the big city!!! From what I hear, its about like any other big city.

3. snobordboi

snobordboi Registered Member

Well, I live in the Denver area, have most of my life, and love it here. I did go up to the western slope (Glenwood Springs home of ORD) for 2 yrs, and it was pretty, and the pace of life is sometimes slower, and alot less traffic to deal with, but I missed having lots of stuff available to do, more than 2 bars where the same crazy psychos that arent happily married and sitting at home hang out, and it cost a bit more to live there. But for the state in general, I love the environment here, people are more openminded to alot of things than many other areas of the country i.e. body art is common everywhere here. The weather can be funky, but we have like 300 days of sunshine a yr, the mtns are right by denver, so in an hr you can be wheeling, ski/boarding, hiking, mtn biking, rock climbing etc. Denver also has a good music scene in my opinion, and lots of different stuff to do. So thats my .02 for now, hope it helps!

4. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

If you were to get rid of most of the people, I'd like it. Just too many people. that's my biggest complaint. That and most people in Colorado seem rude at first. I'm used to having everyone being freidnly to everyone, not just the people they knew. Took a bit of getting used too.

BTW, what shops in C/S were you talking about? I'd stay away from Tanner 4WD & Predator. Not the best customer service if you know what I mean.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Poison Spyder, ORD, Avalanche Engineering are the ones that stuck in my head. I really really doubt I could get a job at such places out of school but dreaming can't hurt.

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

ORD and Avalanche aren't in Denver or C Springs. ORD is in Glenwood Springs, and Avalanche is in Bay Field in the southwestern corner of the state near Durango. Durango has a very high cost of living and property prices.

Harley

7. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

It's the only place for me. Yah, it's getting full, but it's a great place if you like 4 seasons and mountains to enjoy them in.

8. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

If you've never lived here and have spent most of your time near sea level then you'll need to get used to very dry air (dry eyes, itchy skin) and altitude (gasp). Most people I know adjusted after 6 months to a year. Lot of vacationers get altitude sickness thinking they can hike up a 12-14 thousand foot peak on the weekend.

The people here are a mix like anywhere else. Skies are generally middle blue with high clouds in winter and t-storms in summer. Short spring and fall with longer winter & summer. Utilities are up in the Denver area with our new conglomerate Xcel Energy. Water prices are also climbing. Home prices are pretty average but may seem high if you coming out of Nebraska.

The spike in population is the worst aspect, lot of people moving into the high country and building trophy homes. Traffic is awful. Most of the small town charm is long gone. Mile High staduim is gone and been replaced by Invesco field at mile high. The job market isn't the greatest.

On the balance there are mountains, skiiing, some boating, fishing, hunting, off-roading, blue skies, and wilderness in the western half of the state.

Everytime I've gone back East I can't wait to get back out West. I think I'll be heading further West though, the front range is getting too cosmopolitan for my taste.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I know I was looking for a more general on Colorado, guess I got too specific.

10. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

HELLO! This is Mrs. 4x4xGOD...
    I lived in the Springs when I met Tom, my hubby.
    Colorado is AMAZING!!!!!!!!
    Not ONLY are the mountains absolutely one of THE BEST things about that area, but I found ALL of the people to be VERY friendly.
    Now, just like you, I am from PA. (Steeler country!!)
    I moved there, not expecting to find out that I was- gasp- an "outdoorsy-type!"

The big difference between PA mentality and COLORADO mentality is this:
    "Pittsburghers" work to live
    Coloradans Work so they have money to PLAY

I was 24 when I moved there, and I never was at a loss for places to go, bands to listen to, or trails to hike!

If you feel like going, I do not think you'll be disappointed.
    Colorado will FOREVER be where I wanna live. (unless I see grander mountains elsewhere...Utah maybe??)
    CHEERS!! and GOOD LUCK!

Lisa :grin:

11. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Me again.
    I just read all the other posts to this thread...
    YES, living in the springs IS expensive. It's one of the reasons I had to leave.
    but with the big boom of people (which I hear is waning somewhat sinceI lift in 98) comes more jobs.

If you want to live there and make it work, you will. DO NOT be deterred by nay-sayers about what line of work you want to get into.

How about working at places that service Dirt Bikes? I know 4x4's is probably your "main thing", but if you wanna stay there, you'll pretty much do what ya need to, right??

And the folks in the springs/Denver ARE friendly. Just open your mouth. People do not bite.
    And neither does 300-plus days of SUNSHINE a year!
    Just watch for the GYPSY MOTHS that get ***EVERYWHERE*** for the month of April into May. It's like living in Bible times again. 30 days and they're gone. Strange... and Icky too. Thanksfully, they don't "bite" either! ;)

Lisa

12. woods

woods Registered Member

Been stationed in color springs for the past 2 yrs, it's a great area to been in 2 hrs to some of the best snowboarding/sking, and mountain biking palmer park is awesome 20 to 30 mins and you have 27 miles of trail from easy to 4 ft drops or more. Traffic is a nightmare for a city of 500k, also if it snows aleast 3 to 5 roll-overs everyday, the population thing might get worse if the rumors about the amount of people they are going to start stationing at Ft. carson is true. The club/bar scene I'm usually an apartment and friends drinker type, the couple of times I went downtown I hated it to many drunk people in the same spot. Not really sure on the cost of living I came from Iowa so can't really compare it.

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm not a social person so the club/bar scene doesn't mean crap to me. As for work, the only way I'll move to CO is if I get a job at a 4x4 place before I move there. Crane is out there also and in Wyotech's Employer list. Like I said before, just cause I've been here and apply by no means anyone will hire me, but hey its worth a try. I am high risk insurance so getting a mechanic job could be damn near impossible, and all I really want to do is fabricate and work with offroad stuff so thats what I am going to try to get into first.(ORD is on the list too so Stephen watch for my resume the end of the year :)).

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm about as helpful as a bag of hammers in a rain storm...
    I can't give you any first hand or even current info, but I had a boss take over a couple facilities there and then bug me to come live there about 5 years ago. I remember seeing it looked like an awesome place to live, but she described it as ultra expensive. She said she liked the air, and her condo had blah blah blah amenities, and that I'd love the wheelin', too. She must have been making about $400k, though...

I think even though she wanted to hire me out there, while telling me it was very expensive, almost on par with Long Island, she didn't want to pay me much more...

15. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I grew up in Colorado and then joined the Navy. While in the navy I lived in Orlando, FL for 18mon; Idaho Falls, ID for 6mon; and Virginia Beach, VA for 4yrs.

I guess the fact that I came back to Colorado answers the question about how I like living here. It's a lot different than the east coast. And coming from there you won't find Colorado to be "crowded".

The cost of living coming from Virginia Beach to Greeley was a 6% increase according to some thing I found online one time. I do know it costs more to live in the Denver/Colo Springs area, and that why wages are higher there. Quite a few people live near where I do, and commute to Denver.

16. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I have been in Colorado since 1979 and have lived just north of Colorado Springs, The southeast corner of the state (Springfield) which is south of Lamar, The northeast corner (Sterling), and now Western slope north of Montrose.

Cost of living can be an issue. The best thing about Colorado for me is you can live in the environment you choose. Big city, suburb, small town, or BFE. I have never been at a loss for work.

There are several fab shops and more springing up all the time. A few of my friends work as auto mechanics and then get to use the shop to fab thier own stuff. They say easier to find work doing normal mechanic stuff and the money is decent.

Best advice I can give is come out for a few weeks and show up to the shops in person. Once you are here you will find a way to come back.

I can work anywhere but what matters is where I want to live.

Good luck and happy hunting!!