Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Living under power lines (not a joke although it sounds like one)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Jan 20, 2002.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Anybody know anything about living under high tension lines? We looked at a house today that's very nice, but below where the market would value it, and the only thing I can think of are these huge utility poles and high tension lines 60 feet from the back door of the house. Also, looks like the entire block is selling, and a lot of the blocks around the area (I'd bet the ones that aren't for sale are the ones that were just bought).

Anybody know anything about this? The land around the towers looks pretty rough, like good wheelin' practice areas...

Ratch
    CK5 album
    Prior signature burnt. This one on temporarily.

2. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

it is suppose to cause cancer - causes more free radicals in the body...

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Yes there is supposed to be a problem w/ The high tension wires. I dont know if they still exist but back in the 70s there was a group called P.L.U.G. Put Lines Under Ground. The only reason I knew of it is because my pediatrician was a member, and we lived about 1 mile from power lines. (safe distance) 20/20 or 60 min. did a big thing about power lines and causing all kinds of birth defects, cancer, and such.

Four wheeling fun yeah, staying under them constantly no. I would steer clear of it. Anytime there is a lot of houses for sale there is a reason. You should do an extensive search on the net about this if you are gonna consider it. I personally would stay away.

If ya can't stop.......Smile as you go under! [​IMG]
    PIC of mine from flblazers site<a target="_blank" href=http://www.flblazer.alloffroad.com/photo3.html>
    GO</a>

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I don't live under them but they are a block and a half south of us.... only thing I even notice about them is the hum that seems to come off of them. Seems to be louder in the summer in hotter weather. Nobody that I am aware of around here ever has complained of filed a lawsuit or something because they have a new arm from their forehead.... I think it would be ok.... ?

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    Stop Global Whining
    I'm in shape.... round is a shape......

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I think its about EMP electro magnetic pulses, cookin' your brain if ya live under them for to long. I think they did testing with cows and found that they were actually dumber after a long period of time, but how do you find out if a cow has become dumber[​IMG]

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

6. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Hi power (transmission) lines put out a very high electro magnetic field. Here in Tucson we have 46kv 138 kv and 345kv. Birds don't come near these lines bcos of the emf's. That'd be enuff to convince me not to live near them.

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

7. ChevyCaGal

They are not the ones who end up at Burger King the fastest I guess.... know enough to run when Farmer Brown offers to take them on "a ride"

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    Stop Global Whining

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

It is EMF not EMP, I used to live by some, apparently it had an effect [​IMG] [​IMG]

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

9. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

Hold a tube type flourescent light bulb while under one of those lines. With one end in your left hand and the other in your right it will light the bulb. Go figure??/

David

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.extremeblazer.com>ExtremeBlazer</a>

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Thanks everyone! I did some searching on google right after I posted this and found that yes, EMF from power lines can contribute to childhood luekemia. I stopped researching after that...

We're not going to be buying that one... I'd rather wait a little longer and get a house that at least there's not obvious risks we're putting the kids in...

That one is literally a couple blocks from an express train station (I'm a commuter). Everything else in our range is at least 20 minutes from a train station... bummer...

That flourescent light trick sounds pretty cool, though...

Ratch
    CK5 album

11. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Ratch , I'd do some serious research, arent you about to have a kid, if not another one.There is some trippy stuff out there and I don't want to get you all weirded out but there is lead paint(I'm pretty sure I ate a bunch as a kic )&lt;see,and radon gas and asbestoes and furmaldihide(&lt; again see) gasses being released by your capet and countertop coverings. So hang in there bro, and I'm glad your not getting the house...

12. ChevyCaGal

Great, so glad I live so close to one... guess I can entertain myself by lighting up stuff on those slow evenings....

Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    Stop Global Whining

13. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

LMAO

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

ChevyFumes, lol, thanks!
    We have two now, 3yr old girl/1yr old boy, if there's another she hasn't mentioned it yet [​IMG]!
    We've been looking for about 3 years now, but the market is way too high, or we come across the stuff that you mentioned, i.e lead paint and stuff, generally beyond my cleanup skills as a handyman.
    I don't know about the other stuff you mentioned, the countertop stuff and carpet gasses, I have to research that more, thanks for the info!

The real estate market is very discouraging around here... We don't make enough to live decently, lol...

Hey Steph, just think, you had free light while working on your Neon all along!

Ratch
    CK5 album
    Prior signature burnt. This one on temporarily.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by newyorkin on 01/20/02 09:34 PM.</FONT></P>

15. NE79

NE79 1/2 ton status

We went through a class period on this in our physics class. Watched the 60 min.s thing and all. Did some calculations and the EMF the lines put out is much much less than that put out by the earth itself (read negligable effect). Not to say that it's good to live under them or anything, as there are quite a few stories about damaging effects to kids. But i don't think the EMF is the cause.
    Just more useless but interesting info.

uh-oh

16. ChevyCaGal

Yeah who knew... but I think I have to be a bit closer... I'm close but not directly under it..... I might just get a nice flicker but no real light!

Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    Stop Global Whining

17. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, I read that in my research too. Apparently, up until 2 years ago, it was thought to be fine, and still generally thought so. Something was discovered in '98 that found power lines to be the cause of all kinds of problems, maybe not EMF, though. I don't remember it all, it was a couple hours ago, and I just came in from working on the K5 under a big transformer on the street...

Hey Steph, I just realized, your daily driver's a NEON! It should glow itself!

Isn't the internet amazing?? 5 pm tonight I was wondering what the effects of the power lines are, and now I'm halfway edumacated on 'em!

Ratch
    CK5 album