Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Llano Texas. Yall seen this?

Discussion in 'Blazin Trails' started by laketex, Mar 2, 2000.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

From Rockcrawler.com:::

Llano, TX - "Don't mess with Texas" will take on a new twist in the late summer of 2000 when Beyond the Pavement opens the doors to the most advanced and only Off-Road Driving Park of its kind. Beyond the Pavement is being developed by North American Expeditions Ltd. and will have over 1300 acres of some of the best and most diverse trails found anywhere. An intricate network of trails will be developed that go from "Mild to Wild". The park will accommodate anyone from the family SUV owner to the hardcore veteran. Extreme rockcrawlers will be confronted with obstacles that most will not complete from within their rig. Nowhere can you find an area that will allow the novice to learn while the pros burn.

Located just west of Austin, Texas Beyond the Pavement will provide its members with an outlet to pursue their off-road desires. Open 24 hours a day 7 days a week, members have access to virtually all types of terrain day or night. Through the efforts of many years, off-roading experts will design the detailed web of trails. The park's design team will maintain and modify the terrain to ensure something new throughout the year. Whether you've just picked up your new four-wheel drive or added the latest component to your rock buggy, Beyond the Pavement will provide the perfect testing ground.

To limit your travel time Beyond the Pavement is conveniently located in central Texas. Make it a day or a weekend adventure. If one should decide to make a weekend of it there will be on site camping available. Not just campsites but restrooms with running water, showers and electricity. Nearby Llano offers restaurants, motels, fuel and more. There are even places to bring a motor home if that is more your speed.

Monthly events will be held to further the off-road experience. Major manufacturers will hold an event each month enabling one to win prizes, money and bragging rights. Two of the annual events will include a significant cash purse and test even the most ambitious of drivers. Events will be catered to the novice, intermediate and expert. Physical endurance, driving and navigational skills and mechanical ability are but some of the possible requirements to succeed. Watch the calendar for the upcoming events.

Late this summer when Beyond the Pavement unveils the facility to the world everyone will be looking on. Some of the worlds best off-road drivers will assemble at Beyond the Pavement for what is sure to be the largest annual event of the year, and with a membership you to are invited to attend. The Premier Party will host individuals from all over the country. Top drivers, journalists, television and manufacturers will all be present for the unveiling. Don't miss the big day. Reserve your membership now.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

2. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Laketex keep me up on this would you?, when it opens etc....this is what I wanted to do with the area back behind me, but alas no$$$$$$$$$$$ so a Horse Company bought and are trying to set it up for horseback riding..WK

3. Texan

Texan 1/2 ton status

I'm salivating!!!! Thanks for the info....

<font color=orange>STEVE<font color=orange>[​IMG]
    89 Blazer
    67 Camaro 468
    68 CamaroSS 327
    98 GTP

4. Texan

Texan 1/2 ton status

Found the article on Rockcrawler.com and also found the attached link:

http://www.beyondthepavement.com/

89 Blazer
    67 Camaro 468
    68 CamaroSS 327
    98 GTP

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I got the article off the Tennesee 4x4 message board, didn't even see the link... Man that's some money, wonder if it's worth it???

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

6. Texan

Texan 1/2 ton status

I've sent them an e-mail and left a phone message to get some more info on the membership dues. I've got a couple-a jeeper bud's that I sent the link to and they are very interested as well so between the 3 of us, we should get some info. soon...

89 Blazer
    67 Camaro 468
    68 CamaroSS 327
    98 GTP

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

After reading their site, I just don't know. I mean it does sound cool, but what about the members? It seems more set up for city folks than true outdoorsmen. True, my girlfriend would much appreciate the running water and showers, but it just seems really urbanized. Ya know what I'm getting at here?

See I was in Boy Scouts when I was younger and we didn't have anything at camp. Just cold showers, rickety latrines, and tents. But the Dallas council took over ours, and they paved the roads, installed real bathrooms, lit the roads, enclosed the dining area, and other stuff that was supposed to make it better. But to me it was always too much and not near as fun. I'm not saying this is going to be like that, but I'd like to go for a day and see before I get roped into a $500+ membership. I guess I'm just a poorboy, and most of the more affluent people I've met on the trails would look down their noses. And I just don't like to hang with those kinds of people.

A little long winded huh? Hey anybody else think about this or am I the only wacko out there?

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

8. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I hear ya! Can't even take a buddies rig in to let them try it. Maybe they could get a first time free thing going to see if anybody likes it. I also though about giving them a call and see if you could do like a club membership or something. Lord knows I want to join but the more I think about, that money could go a LOOOOONG ways on my rig.

Kyle
    89K5

9. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

Yes, it says no drinking and driving to. I dont know if Im out of line here, but if Im just playing around (no lives in danger) which is most of the time, I like to drink a beer. Sounds like they are catering to families in range rovers to me. I may as well admit it now fellas, Im a yahoo.

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>life is a race, you have to look good and go fast!</font color=blue>

10. Texan

Texan 1/2 ton status

The way I read it I'm guessing they haven't done squat as far as upgrading the facilities at this point. It looks like charter members would even be envolved in developing a lot of the trails. There is something in there that say's if you sign up by April 1, your first 3 months are at the intro. rate and the next 9 are free. We are taking that to mean that the $500 bucks is split into monthly dues and you only have to pay the first 3 months ($125 bucks) and the rest of the 1st year is free. The following years would be at $500/annually[​IMG]. Don't qoute me on that, It's just a guess at this point. That's why I'm waiting to hear back from them with a better explanation. It's only an hour or so from where I live so I could get my money's worth (at least for the 1st year at $125), but after that it seems awful steep. It's tuff to find any place that close to home with so much to offer (and where the cops don't write you up or folks don't fence it in) but I'm with y'all, I can think of a lot better things to do with that $500/year....

I'll Post As Soon As I Hear More,

89 Blazer
    67 Camaro 468
    68 CamaroSS 327
    98 GTP

11. Javier Gras

Javier Gras Registered Member

The membership fees do seem a bit excesive and probably only worth it for someone with plenty of extra cash that plans to go there just about twice a month or more. Maybe if they had weekend passes for less money. They are only planning to open it if they get 2000 members (Which at $750 each regularly is $1.5 Millions a year, not bad.)

If you are looking for other places to wheel check this two:
    This is the one someone mentioned a couple days back, pay aprox $25 a weekend. North of Alto, TX
    http://www.shilohridge.com/
    This is the Texas Motorized Trails Coalition. AFAIK They recently purchased 1,600 acres near Gilmer (Near Longview) and are in the process of opening up to members. It was purchased from a grant of tax money that is set apart for trails of all kinds, and they plan to buy more land. They have a $35 per year membership, and then will have a small day use fee.
    I feel that anyone that wants to have areas open to wheelin in TX should consider joining as they are doing great work.
    http://www.texasmotorizedtrails.com/
    BTW for residents of TX and neighbors check out the TX 4x4 mailing list at www.tx4x4.com ,it sometimes is a lot of useless e-mails but it's also a great group of people. Too bad they are not all k5/jimmy owners.

Javier
    just my $.01, I'm saving the other penny for some truck mods

12. Texan

Texan 1/2 ton status

O.K. Got a call back from someone associated with this operation. Javier is correct in that they are looking to get 2000[​IMG] members signed up before they open in September. I was told the part about "3 months at reg. rates and 9 mines free" was something the CC company was requiring to be stated, whatever that means (looking kinda shakey at this point)? My assumptions about the 1st year at a reduced rate were incorrect. It's $500 for the first year and it doesn't open until September (he said they wouldn't even arrange for early tours to see what your getting into[​IMG]). I then asked the guy several times who currently owns this property and he finally admitted they didn't. Looks like they are trying to take 2000 people's cash and go off and buy this (seems like you ought to get a share of it if your fronting them money[​IMG]). At any rate, I think I'll hang onto my cash and keep looking for places to wheel...

On a related note: Anyone want to start a web page, spend a few bucks on advertising, make a lot of promises, and see how many people thow money at us?[​IMG][​IMG]

Later,

89 Blazer
    67 Camaro 468
    68 CamaroSS 327
    98 GTP

13. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

That royally sucks. I'm going to check out some of Javier's links. Later all.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

14. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

That Gilmer place sounds kick ass! Anybody know when they will open? More info.?

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>life is a race, you have to look good and go fast!</font color=blue>