Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

LMC aftermarket Tailgates

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rix_Gotta_Blazer, Aug 23, 2002.

1. Rix_Gotta_Blazer

Rix_Gotta_Blazer 1/2 ton status

I am in need of a new tailgate for the '81. In LMC Truck there are 2 different types, the OEM style ($430) and the Reproduction style ($200). i was wondering if anyone else has used the reproduction tailgate? if so, what have you noticed both bad/good about it. thanks in advance.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Can't comment on the LMC replacement ones, but I can on other aftermarket tailgates.

They are thin. So thin that the tailgates will crease when you put weight on them. The C/K truck tailgate I saw didn't have edges that were folded over like GM did, and they weren't even sealed with body filler. Just spot welded. Great for water to get in and rust out the thin sheetmetal. Oh, did I mention, a stock truck tailgate weighs twice as much as the aftermarket one I was holding?

Either go used or OEM on body parts IMO, especially things like doors and tailgates where strength and fit are critical.

3. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Replacement SUCKS! Period. Mine didnt fit for $hit. I had to use a 1 ton hand winch to pull my bed sides in far enought to get it to work, then I ended up welding it in place cause I couldnt get it to open AT ALL!! THEY SUCK!!!

4. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Most of them are pretty pathetic. They're wimpy and obnoxiously light. I'd find an old one that is in better shape than yours at a junkyard.

I have two new doors. They have a different curve to them and they're real thin. I think they're probably 22gauge. Around the doorhandles there are spotwelds that show. They don't fit very well. And they were the only doors I could find that were that good.

5. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Reproduction parts have weeker welds, if fact the tac welds are smaller, also thinner steel is used /forums/images/icons/frown.gif ...but it depends what your bugit is....Your Chevy parts wholesaler or dealer may have a better price on original equipment!