Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

LMC.. I am not too happy..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bone85K5, Jan 18, 2001.

1. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

I just got my new door skin for the 90K5 and a rear quater panel for the 85K5. Both parts have dents. The door skin is ok, its near the top so it will be fixed when its welded. Howeve, the quater panel has a nice quater sized dent right above the 12'oclock postion above the wheel well opening. I am getting body work done at my school (5$ an hour) and the instructor said as soon as I walked in " I got those cheap parts in for you" He has over 30 years in the business and siad that the quater panel was nto accecptable. We called LMC and they said that all parts like that jave minor imperfections, send it back and we will see if your is minor or major... I guess I will freigth it back to them ($90) so they can tell me that its major ( I hope they consider this major) Anyone else have any problems like this? The instructor at school that it was not minor to him....man will something go right for me this year??

Ben
    www.BenjaminBone.coloradoK5.com

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

in my opinion if it was me i would not accept it. if i am buying a (new) part it should have no dents in it. if it is (used) well i would expect some imperfections

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

3. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Dude that sucks. I agree with Mudhog. If they give you a hassle and you decide to tell em to stick it try these people <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.certifit.com/index.html>http://www.certifit.com/index.html</A>, my brother uses them and I know for a fact they are a hell of alot cheaper and I'm pretty sure their quality is better.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>

4. rezalb

rezalb 1/2 ton status

Certifit I heard nicknamed was sort-a-fit??????Um...wonder how they got it....

rezalB

Built for a purpose.

5. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Right before you send it back, take a hammer a give the fender a smack and then send it back! They have no choice to replace it........

<font color=green> No machines are perfect!</font color=green>

6. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Most large body panels shipped by truck wil have some damage. Best bet is to buy from local chevy dealer gm parts are much better than jap made. Most places sell both GM and repro body parts. Just depends on what you want to spend.

7. 82K5

82K5 1/2 ton status

really, what did you expect from a company that searches the world for the cheapest parts available so they can make money off of you thru mail order sales. if you want real parts you have to go through your dealer, for the most part. quality costs money. cheap [censored] is cheap [censored].

Phil from K.C.
    1982 K5 Blazer Silverado
    Built in Flint, Michigan-January 1982
    Kansas City = Great B-B-Q.

8. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

You can fix the dent for less than 90 bones. I dont thinks its worth it. I'd just never order body parts from them again.

Will work for parts, beer and sex.
    90 Jimi,350/700R4/241/10bolts/3.73's/33's/4"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com>http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com</A>

9. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

Man I have a panel with a dent in it already... now I just bought one with a dent in it. If I wanted to fix a panel with a dent in it I would just fix the one that I have. This is such BS, but the only way I can send it back is to pay for it. Im working on soemthing, this is just total BS.

Ben

10. 78k5

78k5 1/2 ton status

They will probably just waste your shipping money because they will tell you it is minor and you will have to pay to get it back also. They tell you that there may be some bodywork that needs to be done due to shipping. They stand by this and it sucks. I ordered all of my parts from certi-fit. they suck so bad it's unbelievable. I got all of the pieces at one time doors, hood, front fenders, tailgate, rear panels, and the wheel wells. these parts do not fit and have to be worked and worked to get them even close to straight.I had to pick up the parts there because they would not ship them to me and it was a good thing because they had to go through about 10 different pieces of everything I got to find one that didn't look like someone did a square dance on it! Buyer beware.

11. 82K5

82K5 1/2 ton status

if you lived in kansas city, like i do. you could take a nice 20 minute drive over to LMC and tear them a new sphincter. why don't you see if there are any places like LMC that are within driving distance. btw, you can get body parts almost anywhere. you don't have to use repro places like LMC.

Phil from K.C.
    1982 K5 Silverado Blazer
    Built in Flint, Michigan-January 1982
    Kansas City = Great B-B-Q.

12. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

I am seding the quater panel back, the door is useable. Oh welll, you live and learn. Taking this one for the team guys.... just hope I can get another one for a reasonable price qiuck so I can take advantage of the $5 hour labor rate @ school.

Ben

13. Cliffy

Cliffy Registered Member

I'm glad you posted this I was about 20 days away from purchasing from them and I certainly won't now.

Coil sprung 71 blazer.

14. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure about LMC's disclaimer but Cheyenne Pickup puts it on its body panel page. It says clearly that there may be some minor imperfections due to shipping. I wouldn't mad at just LMC but the shippers too. They usually don't have an idea of whats in there, they just throw it on in the truck. My beef with LMC would be there selling of thinner metal to cut down on costs. GM did too, honest. Go up to an old K5 from the 70's and early 80's and tap your knuckles against the metal, close the doors. Then go up to the models from the very last years, you'll hear alot hollower sound. I suppose I'll get tons of attacks from '91 owners now, oh well. We've got an '82 and '89 so I guess I can't be acussed of being jealous, bias, or never actually trying it.

June 2001 - The Texas Sawz All masacre begins. Be afraid rust, be very afraid. [​IMG]

15. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I understand where everybody is coming from with aftermarket body parts. If you want good quality stuff, stick with OEM stuff. I have seen too many say, fenders, made in Taiwan or wherever, and they ALWAYS need work to make them fit. Body lines may not align up, side marker lights need to be made to fit in the holes. Sometimes the mounting holes are off too. Oh well, live and learn. I stick by GM parts for anything of mine now. As for dents and stuff, I would say 95% is shipping company fault. Rarely do these pieces come to a shop in pristine condition. Best thing to do is inspect them when they arrive and if damaged, send them back with the driver. The delivery co. is now responsible for the damage.

16. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

So, let me get this.....you can get the dent, the size of a quarter, fixed at $5 an hour...maybe take an hour to fix and be done or spend $90 sending the thing back....I don't get it.

Michael[​IMG][​IMG]

17. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

Well, I havent talked in depth with the body shop instructor about that. The fist thing he said to me when the parts arrived included "The sh t a s parts you ordered are in. Hell, I could have fixed the dent on the truck as good as I could have fixed this panel." I am not sure beciase I havent talked to him enough to know if he will fix it or not. The agreement was that you buy the parts, they put them on. I dont know about fixing a part to make them fix since this is a class and they have a time frame. Bottom line- I dont wont know untill I talk to him and find out if a)he can fix it and put it on or 2) it wont fix it b/c of whatever reason. Anyway, I might just send it back and but elsewhere. Any ideas where I can get a rear quater panel without any dents?

Ben

18. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

All the dudes with the big bucks say buy GM.....I think they run around $450 each.....I would stick with the LMC and fix the dent.....surely you're not replacing the entire quarter just because of a dent....? Replacing a quarter is a lot more difficult than fixing a dent.....IMO.

Michael[​IMG][​IMG]

19. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Agree, why would you buy a replacement panel for a dent unless the panel was crushed. Someone with 30yrs exp. Should be able to do this in less than an hour. No one sells perfect replacement panels.

20. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Well you cann't determine if LMC or the shipper is at fault at this point... Befor you spend the money to send it back get some info from LMC. The can give you an idea about what is minor and major damage over the phone..... When ever you order parts and have them shipped to you you want to open them, if you see any damage on the box... Make sure the driver knows about the damage befor they leave..... If the damage is not acceptable don't accept it.... After you take posession its hard to lay blame unless it's noted and get it in writing.
    That is the same with over the counter parts. I've saw a guy that had a waterpump and didn't understand why it leaked worse then the old one did.. when I looked at the part it had never had the face milled to meet with the block.... you could see the casting marks still.... as the parts guy came back with another one they couldn't believe there eyes to see the difference between the two...... You have to look and compare the part.. think about how it's mounted and does it look right....

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"