Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

LMC irrors, who has bought, used them??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mofugly13, May 15, 2004.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Currently I have ONE rearview mirror on the drivers side door. The PO put it on it's from a ford, and I want to go with some oem style mirrors. LMC has them in chrome or stainless. Has anyone used these? I'd like to go for stainless, but I know that sometimes it's a crappy alloy that will start to rust, what were the OEM mirrors made of? The ones I see in the junkyard seem to have held up pretty well, in regards to rust, but theyre always dented or broken and I'm looking for something new. So I guess my real questions are, should I go for the stainless? or the chrome? Or does anyone have some take-offs in good shape they want to sell me? I am looking for resistance to rusting/durability. Thanks.

2. roadhawg

roadhawg 1/2 ton status

i have the stainless ones but they have only been installed for about a month, seem to be of good quality but im not sure if they are as good as the oem's. i bought mine from chevy duty but im sure they are probably the same.

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I got a set like this if you are interested. I can get better pics
    [​IMG]

4. mofugly13

Thanks, that's the style I have on my drivers side right now, but I like the 77-91 OEM style.

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I have an extra set of these laying around that i've been meaning to sell, don't know the condition of them as I haven't looked at them in months, if your interested in them, pm me /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]

6. mofugly13

PM sent. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

FWIW, GM mirrors that weren't painted, are most definitely stainless.

8. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

I saw them at kragen last week. I'm not sure how much they were...
    [​IMG]

9. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

I bought aftermarket mirrors. Had to modify the hell out of them to make them fit the door contour. Had to heat the backing plate to reshape it /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif and then put it in the Bridgeport /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif to fix the hole pattern. Hopefully mine were just made on a Friday afternoon. Try to find used orginals if you can.

-Chris

10. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeah, I bought a set of the chrome ones from LMC. Started rusting a few months ago so going to scratch them down and paint them. Also have a set of stainless if your interested. After about a month that I had the ones from LMC on I had to pull the cover and tighten the bolts that keep the mirror steady. Other than that and the rust mine have held up pretty well.

11. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I picked up a set of the stainless steel mirrors from LMC and ended up returning them. They didn't fit the door contour or the bolt pattern (off slightly). I ended up keeping my stock ones. Pick up the used ones offered above, I think you'll be happier with them, I was. Polish them up on a wheel and they'll look great. They are stainless steel.

Eric M.

12. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I have the black set from LMC they OK o complaints on fit and finish (theyve been on for a year)

They did have a problem blowing in but I took off the shaft and scuffed it up (with some 80 grit) then scratched the clip the shaft goes in now they are great.

13. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

not to bash LMC but chevy duty has them too and about the same price I have one on my passenger side and it fit right and have been holding up great....Taz