Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

LMC Kick Pannels...

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Avery4jc, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have some 6" Alpine Type R's that I need to find a home for in my truck...I was planning on ordering part #38-8508 from LMC which is their kick pannels w/ mounting spots for a 6.5" speaker but when I checked it out on their site the only way they list it is with the speakers which is quite expensive if I'm not going to use theirs....
    How have you guys gotten around this? If I call can they sell me just the kick pannels w/o the speakers? Or have you guys figured out other ways?

Thanks!

2. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

I think Qforms makes the pods without the speakers but I just cut a hole into the kickpanel and flush mount my speakers there. That way they are semi protected from getting stepped on but you have to watch the amount of backspacing your speakers require. If the backspacing on the speakers is just a little too much, I've also used a carpeted piece of 1/2" MDF as a spacer.

3. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

http://store.73-87chevytrucks.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=7&Product_Code=RD-3061&Category_Code=7387INT :waytogo:

4. Avery4jc

cool...thanks for the link

oh btw BigEasy I thought about doing that but I didn't think there was much room in there...but maybe I can unscrew the kick pannels sometime and look into doing that....I'll see how much depth I have behind the pannels.

5. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

That kick panel metal is pretty structural in the blazer cab if i remember. IM not sure i'd replace that with a speaker. May cause a lot of body flex if you have any rot elsewhere.

6. Avery4jc

hmmm true...ahhh heck I guess I should just pony up for the kick pannel covers w/ the speaker mounts....
    so are these kick pannels designed to screw over the existing plastic kick pannel or do I unscrew the existing pannel and screw these ones on? I'd assume replace the existing ones....

7. dhcomp

Fab some. Make some speaker rings, angle them with blocks, and teach yourself how to use fiberglass. or build some out of wood. I bet you could make them look decent when covered with vinal or carpet.

8. Avery4jc

yeah I could make them no problem...I'm pretty handy w/ fiberglass it just seemed like a lot of work if I could order some....sometimes the mass produced stuff is cheaper than just buying the materials to do something yourself. :)

9. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

You're talking about cutting a 6" hole in the sheetmetal, not removing the kickpanels altogether. Not like it's going to cause your body to crack and fall apart. And I'm sure you've seen the numerous pictures of Avery's truck and the fact that there is zero body rot.

Avery- you could pull the plastic kickpanel off, cut the hole in the sheetmetal, test fit the speaker and if it doesn't work or is bad enough that an extra 1/2" spacer will not fix the problem then you could weld a patch back over the hole and reinstall your kickpanels so noone would ever see it. I installed a set of 6.5" Eclipses in a Blazer and a set of 5.25" Kenwoods in a K10 that way. There's a set of 5.25" Pioneer's sitting on my shelf waiting to be installed in my Jimmy in the same fashion. Be sure to measure so that the speaker does not overlap the ridge on the plastic if you decide to go this route. The speaker pods provide great sound but with the way they stick out it's almost impossible to avoid kicking and stepping on them. Just my $.02

10. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

:DI like mine.

SPEAKERK5.jpg

11. dhcomp

those are sweet, good work!

12. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

Thanks man! It's amazzin what you can do when your getting payed for it. LOL

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  13. Avery4jc

those are nice....its hard to tell from the pic...did you cut out the entire shape and bend it into the box then weld it up...or did you cut each individual piece then weld them together?

14. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

Each peice and welded it together. If you want more info on how I did it I could tell you later, at work now.

15. Avery4jc

Ok...that would be cool.

16. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

It was easy. I just cut a peice that fit into the panel (each side is alittle different). Then cut the plate I wanted the speaker to mount to. Measured the clearence I needed for the magnet, then positioned the plate to the angle I wanted it at. I welded rods on it to hold the angle/ position of the speaker mounting plate. Then I just held cardboard up and made templates for all the filler peices. Tacked them all in, then did final welding. If you decide to go this route and need any help just let me know.

17. Avery4jc

ok...thanks