Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

LMC Tailgate

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TXsizeK5, Nov 5, 2002.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

My current tailgate is rusted to crap and has cracks... its also REALLY REALLY heavy! anyone know why its so much heavier? Its a manual window, would that make a diff?

Anywway, If i bought a repro tailgate from LMC, would it fit pretty well? And what is diff between OE and repro? And its just the shell right? So i just throw in all hardware and glass from other tailgate into this one? Is that pretty easy? Thanks!

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

K5 tailgates are heavy muthas! That's why they have those torsion bars at the bottom to assist with closing 'em. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I saw an ad here in town for a guy that is selling a new tailgate shell, in the box, for $100. If you really want it I could check it out for you.

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, that would be nice... but shipping would be a bitch wouldnt it? Ohh and what color do they come as???
    Mine is extra heavy... my buddy's has an electric one on a 85 and its sooo much lighter than mine...

4. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

OE is a factory spec replacement. Reproductions are made overseas and use thinner gauge metal and the quality isn't as high.

5. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

If I were to buy a new tailgate because of rust, I'd order one from www.usbody.com made of light and rustfree fiberglass. They are less than $400, I think. Maybe you should check them out.

6. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

I recently replaced mine with an LMCtruck type shell. I had to scavenge three tailgates to get all the working parts to put mine back together and I still had to do some welding, sandblasting and painting on the innerds before it all worked fine. All of the tailgates I managed to find were extremely heavy and very rusty. Mine is the manual type also and it is working great now.

I have some pictures of the entire project - welding repairs and all. If you want I can dig them up and post them for you.

Good luck.

7. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

What color are they from USbody? And from LMC?

8. HarryH3

New tailgates typically don't come in various colors. They're just primered. You get to pick the color to paint it. I'll check on the one for sale here today and see what the guy has. I re-read the ad and it says it's for a 73-87 Blazer or Suburban. But those tailgates aren't interchangeable, so I'll see which one he really has. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

9. HarryH3

I went and took a look at the tailgate for sale here in town. It's a foreign-made shell. The box says that it's for '78-86 Blazers, but I don't think there's any reason that it won't fit an '87 as well. It has one small dent at the lower, right edge. It didn't cause a crease, so it should be pretty easy to work it back out. If you want it, let me know and I'll pick it up for you. I can also arrange to get it as far as Austin for ya around Thanksgiving, if you can wait that long to get it. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

10. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Its ok, thanks a bunch though!

11. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

hey derek do u have those torsion bar things? that will make it seem so much lighter. mine is still heavy as hell. plus the glasss is broken. lol. later.

jacob

12. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I dont know... what are the torsion bars? I probably don't have them....

13. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

their like a lil curvey rod at the bottom of the tailgate. sorta like a real tall and stretched out s. they go from the tailgate to the body. if ya don't have it, it will drop down faster and be hard to pick up. later.

jacob

14. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Whoa, dont think i have one... where can I get one? You wanna help me throw one in? Thanks later

15. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

Mine is catching when opening or closing on the left hand side on the roll pan, then it releases itself with a loud bang that has people ducking cuz it sounds like a gunshot. Can't figure out why it does that, but I'm working on it.