Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Load limit of a 1995 Chevy 2500 Van?

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by chvyhs, Apr 17, 2004.

1. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know if one of these vans would be able to haul my Suburban on a full trailer safely? I know I would need a load leveling hitch, maybe sway control, and I already have electric trailer brakes. My trailer weighs 2300lbs an I'm not too sure how much the Sub weighs.

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Suburban 1500 or 2500? wet or dry? I would think a suburban is easily topping 6000lbs. Add a 2500 lb trailer, thats 8500-. It would certainly be at the top end of its capacity, considering the max trailering load losted for the 95 van is unloaded with one driver weighing 175 I think.

Get a heavy duty load leveling (they come for different weights. Get a good anti sway- try and get the cam type, or if you have th emoney, consider a hensley. Im very happy with my Cam sway system and load leveler.

3. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Thats a 5 lug van right? Just a glorified 1/2 ton van. I wouldn't haul that load.

4. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Actually my sub is a 3500(+) now. It was a 2500. It's 8" of lift with 42's. The van I was checking out did have a 5 lug rear.

So, it's probably too much for a 2500 van.

5. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

Be careful. My 91 Chevy 3/4 ton conversion van was a unibody. I couldn't believe Chevy did that...

David

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Be careful. My 91 Chevy 3/4 ton conversion van was a unibody. I couldn't believe Chevy did that...

David

[/ QUOTE ]

The unibody for a Van is a good thing, it does have a frame but it's welded to the body.
    I wouldn't worry about the van's strength, but that 10 bolt rear with that much load is a time bomb.
    You could if you already have the van, upgrade the rear axle to a 14B FF, and the front to 8 lugs and you have areal 2500 or maybe a 3500 VAN.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    The good thing is that your wheel base is 126" which is good stability, just need more strength in the axle.
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

To be fully informed, get a copy of the USDOT Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations. It is available at any decent sized truckstop and some bookstores or libraries. It covers more detail on these issues plus things like width and height restrictions and many other matters you need to know. In addition, it is highly advisable to get a copy of the current CDL Driver's Manual available for free at your state driver's license office.

Important: GVWR means the maximum weight possible for the vehicle in question within the capacity assigned to it by it's manufacturer, not it's actual weight.

For instance, Chris' 1994 Kenworth T-