Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Load range

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NEK5, Nov 20, 2006.

1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

quick tire question before my teacher kicks me off the computer...what load range should i be looking at when buying my new tires, C ?

2. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

are you towing or hauling a lot of weight?

3. NEK5

havent yet, maybe a small trailer with a snow blower, or a snowblower in the bed....

4. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

you should be good. I run load range D, but I haul and tow more then I should. a C range is good for around 1900 lbs depending on the pressure you run in it.

figure the truck weighs less then 6000 (geussing high is always safer) then the front tires are fine and if you keep tongue weight below 1000 lbs the rears should be fine.

5. NEK5

anyone else running C range?

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

FWIW my BFG muds are load range D.

7. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

be sure to check actual ratings as well. c,d,e, etc. give ballpark ranges, but depending on brand and model the letter ratings will sometimes overlap.

8. NEK5

Well I was looking at the Trxus M/T from Interco, and their 33x12.5r15 is a load range C...

9. NEK5

can load range effect how many miles i get out of them? like would I get from a D or E range then a C range?

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I have...

My 82 K20 had "E" rated Firestone 245/75/16's on it when I got it..I liked the stiffer sidewalls of the 8 ply rated tires,they cut down on side sway a lot!..

But now I have 2 Michelin tires the same size up front that are either "C" or "B" rated,because the Firestones were going bald,and one had a puncture,that needed several plugs to patch,and I no longer trusted it for long rides..

The Michelins ride much softer,have "mushier" sidewalls..but I'm hesitant to put the other 2 I have on yet--I haul good loads of firewood sometimes,and prefer the heavier ply tires for that,plus I want to wear them out completely before disposing of them..truck does feel a bit squirmy with 2 different type tires on each end,but nothing I cant live with for now...at least all 4 are the same size!..:rolleyes:

You should be fine with load range "B" pr "C" tires on a Blazer..but you can use "D" or "E" rated ones if desired,they will ride harder and be more resistant to punctures than the lower rated tires,and you wont have to worry about overloading them either...:crazy:

11. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

My buddy's TSL sx's say 3200 lbs and they are rated load c. My old 36-12.50-15 TSL's say 2900lbs and are a load range d tire. the load range c is 6 ply and the load range d is 8 ply from what ive gathered. Most 16" rims are load range d.

12. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

As always there are many, many exceptions but a decent rule of thumb would be p-metric for cars and small car-like SUV's....C for 1/2 ton trucks and bigger SUV's that don't get a lot of weight put on them....D for light duty 3/4 tons and abused 1/2 tons...and E for HD 3/4 tons and 1 tons.