Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Load your trailer properly

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by lax037, Oct 31, 2003.

1. lax037

lax037 Registered Member

2. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Dang, Thats sucks!

I wish I could find the pictures of my friends van, They rolled it last summer on the freeway. It's sitting on it's lid with their camper behind it laying on it's side. They were lucky too. But man does it pay to make sure your loaded right the first time, check it three no make that four times if you have too, it may take a few minutes, but thats better than hours scattered across the freeweay!

3. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I have seen that a few times over the years, classic example of loading too light on the tongue. Also a big reason I have a gooseneck trailer rather than a bumper pull. Also why I have a dually one ton pickup. Overkill for a lot of the stuf I haul sometimes but I believe i overkill if it keeps my goodies from getting racked up.

John

4. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

That does suck. I can't seem to figure what he could have done wrong. I think that maybe the tires were way low pressure and just got away from him. The length of the trailer and axle placement with how the Jeeps were loaded puts alot of tongue weight on the truck. A little hard to explain to me.

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I read that whole thing. I believe the causes were these:

1) Long ass deck over bumper pull trailer. A lot of room for wag. Taller trailers like that always catch more wind and wag some. He should have been pulling it with a Dually at least.

2) Weight. Figure 2 heeps at 5K each (those appear to be set up jeep bodied chevies) and at least 3.5K for that pig of a trailer. That's 13K up high on a non-dually shorter wheelbase truck. Way over the GVWR. And too damn much for a bumper pull trailer imho. He could take a few lessons from chevyracing!

The part that gets me though, is that he's a jackass about it. From my experience, he's a typical jeeper, can't take critisism, and will probably do it again. The only consolation that I get from this is knowing that because he was overloaded on an unsafe setup, his insurance is going to have some serious issues with this....argh, makes me mad! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

6. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif So are you Cotton Mouth?

7. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

personally im glad his rigs are destroyed, mabye now that [darn] wont have anything to tow and nearly kill people doing so.

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

This morning, yes. I think i may have drank a little much at the chicago meet last nite...

On the post though, no.

9. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

Your glad his rig is junk huh? these guys are my friends that i wheel with weekely and i was 4 trucks behind them when it happened. If it was a guy with a couple blazers on a trailer you would be doing the "oh that sucks". Yes he [F'ed] up but it sucks to have nice trail tigs be destoyed like that. If you had half as much time and money in a rig you would even think about saying what you did

10. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

man that does suck...weather you know them or not. He says that his trailer WAS loaded properly and they think the pintile hook style receiver was the cause...to much slop.

I've had the 'fishtail' experience also. its some SCARY SHEEIIT. Feels like there is nothing you can do...and the first time it happens your first instinct is to hit the brakes. which just makes it worse because then the trailer starts pushing the truck all over the place REAL QUICK. Luckily the few times its happens we've pulled out of it.

TRAILER BRAKES. I cannot stress enough what an impact they make! You can literally straighten everything out by pushing the lever over on the in cab controller. You can get a inexpensive set controller for about $75 and it will do the job. I am assuming a trailer that big has trailer brakes on it anyways. The controller is cheap insurance man, I'm telling you.
    Sometimes even if the trailer is loaded perfect, cicumstances arise where the trailer wants to get sideways...the trailerbrakes will put it back in line.

Anyways, glad everyone is okay. The trucks/heeps /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif can be replaced...people cant /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    man that does suck...weather you know them or not. He says that his trailer WAS loaded properly and they think the pintile hook style receiver was the cause...to much slop.

I've had the 'fishtail' experience also. its some SCARY SHEEIIT. Feels like there is nothing you can do...and the first time it happens your first instinct is to hit the brakes. which just makes it worse because then the trailer starts pushing the truck all over the place REAL QUICK. Luckily the few times its happens we've pulled out of it.

TRAILER BRAKES. I cannot stress enough what an impact they make! You can literally straighten everything out by pushing the lever over on the in cab controller. You can get a inexpensive set controller for about $75 and it will do the job. I am assuming a trailer that big has trailer brakes on it anyways. The controller is cheap insurance man, I'm telling you.
    Sometimes even if the trailer is loaded perfect, cicumstances arise where the trailer wants to get sideways...the trailerbrakes will put it back in line.

Anyways, glad everyone is okay. The trucks/heeps /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif can be replaced...people cant /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that is something few people know, you can use the trailer brakes manually and help in fishtailing situations.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

Manually hitting the trailer brakes works, so long as the right side brakes don't lock up. This is what happened to me, totalling my Tahoe, M1009 Blazer and my trailer...

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif