Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

loans / finacial assistance (college student) Whats avalible / smart?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BowtieBlazer, Oct 18, 2002.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I've never had much support from my parents in the real world. Better than some but less than others. I am on scholarship for my degree in college but it only covers so much. I usually work summers to have some sort of $ for leisure / needed payments. As of now I am flat out broke. Gonna have to drop my cell phone because I can't afford the bills. I hardly make $3000 a year net. Sucks being a student. I pay for almost everything I have clothes, blazer parts, etc...ya'll know the ring of the tune. Okay so why not get a job? I had an on campus job but this semester I am way too busy trying to keep up with school work to do any work. I've done school 17hrs a week and worked 14's before...this semester with 16hrs its impossible almost to work 10...sure i could but at the sacrifice of my grades. Point is I need some sort of $ to make it by for minor leisure spending and basic needs...not wants, needs. Winter is coming and I can't swing buying some more clothes for the cooler days. A few friends have offered to help me out but I HATE having things I didnt pay for or work for...makes me feel like i am helpless and dependant on others. Anyone know whats avalible and the best deal for students. I am smart enough to know I wanna stay away from credit cards. Some times I wish it were like some of my friends "Hey dad I need about another $300 in my account" (repeat weekly) Others get allowance of $1200 a month and work and use all the money they make at work as spending money. I'm not looking for a poor baby story I have it worst...I know I have something but I would like to know whats avalible to someone in my situation. By the way my parents still claim me on their taxes so I guess that means I'm not quite out on my own yet and as I understand that wouldn't make me elgible for pail grants....I dunno throw some ideas at me. Next is start dealing crack, and hang with the crack hoes. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

First off, I would request that you be dropped from your parents claiming you on their taxes. It does you no good financially, it's all their benefit. If you can get off of their taxes, then you will be eligible for a slough of federal student aid programs from the Pell grant to FSLP (Federal Student Loan Programs-the Stafford and I forgot the other one). Most companies in this area, when they hire someone out of school, will pay toward your student loans, as does the government (in some areas, not sure all). Additionally, you will be eligible for tax breaks/refunds at the end of the year.

3. 19Jimmy87

19Jimmy87 Registered Member

If you do not live with your parents, get off there taxes. When they claim you, they get all the benefits. Also, apply for financial aid, you don't have to take anything, but unless your parents are rich, you should qualify for Pell Grants. I got them, my parents only netted like $50,000 yearly. At this point, there is no quick fix. You need to live independantly for three years for financial aid to really kick in. All you can do is apply for every scholarship you can find. The U. you go to should have a long list of possibilities. I am 25 and still in school. I need to work to pay for rent and everything else. School is paid for by grants and scholarships. There is no qhick solution, unless you sell the Blazer, and live with the parents.

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Go to the financial aid office in your school. Fill out the form. They send it back, and tell you what you're eligible for. Hope you have more luck than me. I didn't qualify for grants and wouldn't take loans. Last semester, i paid $3000 out of pocket. But debt free when it's all over and that's definately something to think about. G'luck whatever you decide to do.